Dual mic settings

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello all Sonnet users,

I thought we could have a dedicated topic for comments on dual mic settings and windblock.  Many of us have been using these ASM 2.0 settings ever since we received the Sonnets.  Those of us in the US, have just started using these settings.

Please share your experiences with the dual mic settings.  Which ones are your favorite?  Have you tried other settings?

Dual mic settings include:

Natural

Adaptive

Auto-Adaptive that stays in Omni until a trigger noise level and then switches automatically to Adaptive

Omni

Windblock settings include:

Mild

Strong

Off

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, hope that in a couple of days you will get your own experience with the dual mics to share with us.

I got a great news from my audiologist today. She emailed me that MED EL CAM will be accompanied us during my next appointment to help with dual mics activation.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great PowerPoint that reports research results comparing Sonnet in omni dual mic setting and Sonnet in Natural dual mic setting.  Fast forward through the first several slides to get to the Sonnet info.

http://www.crsamplifon.com/documents/76453/640793/14+Martin+Kompis+CRS+2016.pdf/5752ac0f-ee03-45e6-99fb-5cee37262a36

• HearPeers Heroes

Learning about dual mic setting options:

Our audiologists can choose between
-omni
-natural
-adaptive

Wind block settings are
-off
-mild
-strong

In adaptive there are options for
-always directional (adaptive)
-directional at 55 dB (auto adaptive)
-directional at 60 dB (auto adaptive)

• HearPeers Heroes

Observations from using dual mic settings so far:

OMNI

Music is by far the best in omni.  Deep bass tones.  

Omni was how our Sonnets in the US were functioning while we waited for ASM 2.0.

Med-El says omni is needed for waterwear use.

ADAPTIVE directional at 60 dB option

Terrific in the car for both listening to speech and listening to the car radio.  I have not tried listening to speech from behind me yet with this setting in the car.

It stays in omni until noise hits 60 dB and then moves into adaptive.  The transition is seamless.  I do not notice it.  Speech is highlighted.

It does not work for me at home watching TV.  The TV triggers it into adaptive and then it makes the TV way too quiet.

It does not work at all for me while listening to music with over the ear headphones.  It knocks out all of the bass.

I like the way speech sounds in this program (both in its omni component as well as its adaptive component).  I will keep this program for noise or listening in the car.

NATURAL

Speech sounds a bit different in this setting.  It may take some time to adjust to it.

This setting is very sensitive to wind noise, even gentle wind noise, over the mics.  Reminds me of my old HA days.  It's definitely going to need to have windblock mild setting turned on for me.

i am curious to read other people's experience with the various mic settings and windblock features of the Sonnets.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, tremendously helpful information! Thank you for sharing with us. It gives me new ideas what I should correct on my wish list for ASM2 appointment. Can you tell such setting is the best for phone conversation and how you find the battery life with new settings? Thank you a lot again!

• HearPeers Heroes

Battery life is unchanged.

Car speaker phone use is terrific in auto adaptive directional at 60 dB.

Phone use in omni is terrific.  Phone use in auto-adaptive directional at 60 dB requires me to align the phone with the front mic, not the rear mic so positioning is more specific.  When aligned with the front mic it sounds fine.  I haven't tested natural on the phone yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Just updating my experience with ASM 2.0

omni:  sounds even better than the Sonnets sounded in omni before ASM 2.0 was activated in the US.  That's interesting to me because the Sonnets had been in an omni program then too but something is different about how Sound is managed in ASM 2.0 and it makes omni even better.  At least that is my experience.  Still omni remains best for music, TV & over the ear headphones.  But I am no longer staying in omni all day.  I switch into omni in the evenings at home since that is when music and TV happens. (Music on the car radio is not best on omni for me.)

adaptive directional at 60 dB:  WOW this is just amazing!  This is my preferred mic setting.  Terrific in the car.  Great all day at work and out and about.  Even handled a noisy bowling alley full of young excited children.  Amazing actually.  Seamless switch between omni and adaptive at 60 dB noise level.  

Observations:  It seems many people are getting omni, natural and Adaptive always directional from their audiologists.  I highly recommend choosing omni, natural and ADAPTIVE DIRECTIONAL AT 60 dB for testing out.

looking forward to reading other people's experiences

I got my ASM 2.0 activated on Monday. 

I have: Natural, Adaptive, and Omni. 

I left the office with the processor in Natural and it seems that with the current settings that the bass is over emphasized, I am going to have to get this adjusted. 

I am currently using adaptive for everyday, all day listening. So far I like it. Right now the only complaint that I have with Adaptive is that it is extremely sensitive to wind noise (I think the wind block is on mild) so even when I am walking inside the building I can hear the wind from when I walk or I can hear the wind from the AC unit blowing overhead. I guess we can try to turn the wind block to the highest setting. 

I haven't used Omni a whole lot since Monday but I am going to try it. The Omni is with the FSP? strategy and the Natural and Adaptive is with the FS4? strategy. 

Hope everone is well!

• HearPeers Heroes

Our audiologists can set adaptive (3 options) or natural with whichever sound processing strategy we use.  I use FS4 so I have

omni with FS4

natural with FS4

adaptive directional at 60 dB with FS4

• 3 months later...

My daughter just received her upgrades yesterday. She now has the sonnets. Her audiologist only gave her two programs, natural and omni. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to which setting would probably work best for her in school. She is currently in first grade and she uses an fm system. Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kelrhea,

Welcome to the forum! 

It is hard to answer your question as all of this comes from the personal preferences, experience, and specifics of environment. For different people that settings work differently.

I am sure your daughter will get used to both of these settings very fast and figures out which of them works best in a particular environments with specific listening devises including her FM system.

• HearPeers Heroes

Keep in mind that whenever the Sonnet is using the Roger FM input, it automatically moves into an omni mix mode.  Doesn't matter if you are using the Roger X (02) receivers plugged into the FM battery door or using the new Roger 21 receivers.  So it will not matter which program your daughter uses at school while the FM is in use.

When the FM is not in use (asleep or off), the Sonnet will remain in omni if the Roger X receivers ar plugged into the FM battery cover.  The Sonnet will return to the mic setting if the program slot if the Roger 21 receivers ar being used.

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Percy

Which mic settings did you end up using as your daily wear program?  Do you have windblock active?

The sound of air movement over the dual mics is a bother.  That is much better in omni.  I hope the next Sonnet has more protected mics so airflow doesn’t trigger those sounds even when walking down inside hallways.

Right now I am still using Omni (FS2) as my everyday. I had my directional program at always and just recently had it switched to 55dba, I am going to try that out. I also had the overall volume turned up on the natural program. In slot 4 I had my Audi put in Omni again but with FS4.  All other programs are FS4 as well except for my everyday Omni. 

I think I like the sound of FS2 better, the FS4 tends to have a little more low end stimulation so that it no longer sounds natural. 

Wind block is active on the directional and natural programs but I can’t really say it makes much difference if it is on or off especially while in the directional program. 

The omni program is much better at wind noise. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy

I experimented with all the mic setting options too.  The windblock did not solve the sound of air moving over the dual mics for me in adaptive either.  Natural restricts my access to sound too much.

I prefer always adaptive over the auto adaptive at 60 dB.

In the end, omni wins for me.  Best in wind, best for music due to full bass tones, best access to sounds from all directions.  Sometimes I switch to always adaptive in noise.  It is good in noise but I got so used to never needing my Fine Tuner except at home with a neckloop, that I don’t always remember to bring it along.

I am not familiar with FS2.  I have tried FS4 and FS4p.  FS4p is too bass heavy for me.  All of my MAPs use FS4.