Reminded of what I LOVE about the OPUS2 BTE processor

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I switched back to my OPUS 2 processors today because I will soon be spending a lot of time in Rondo 1 processors in waterwear and my OPUS 2 and Rondo 1 processors sound exactly the same to me so switching between them throughout a day is very easy.

I really prefer the mic of the OPUS 2 over the Sonnet mic.  It has a clearer sound quality.

I also prefer how the OPUS 2 handles wind noise over the Sonnet processors.  The mic is sheltered in the hook and much less bothered by wind than the exposed mics of the Sonnet processors.

I hope when Med-El releases the next generation BTE processor the mics are improved and also protected from minimal wind noise.

I also prefer Opus 2 over Rondo 3.  I am bilateral and was upgraded after audi recommendation. 

Rondo 3 sounds VERY different to me. I was excited at first with the options for listening to music and the thought of talking on the phone easier but that has not been my experience. I gave up and went back to Opus that is so much easier to charge batteries without ask the cords, ect. 

Recently trying again because am wanting to go back to work after being sidelined with cancer. Would LOVE to be comfortable with Rondo and be able to work from home doing customer service work..but the challenge is getting the sound quality! If you have answers, please share!

• HearPeers Heroes

@PamelaSisco

I had a lot of difficulty transitioning from ASM 1 (used by OPUS2) to ASM 2 (used by Sonnet).  Here is what ended up working for me.

We made completely new MAPs for ASM 2.  I realize Rondo 3 uses ASM 3 but ASM 3 has A LOT of the same mic settings as ASM 2 and when I used Rondo 3 for a research study my ASM 2 MAPs converted to ASM 3 on Rondo 3 perfectly.  So this may help you as well.

The Med-El default conversion from ASM 1 did not work well for me at all.  In fact, it was a mess.

So my suggestions are….

ask your audiologist to schedule a long enough appt with you to make completely new MAPs

ask for the new MAP in Omni mic setting with everything else turned off (windblock, ambient noise reduction, transient noise reduction , adaptive intelligence- ALL turned OFF)

make sure the program do not too loud while you are there

Get other types of programs in other program slots as you desire 

Wishing you the best.

I have never heard of all those options or even know what it means, honestly. When I am there with her in a small room with the door closed, she says "how does this sound? TESTING, TESTING. Does that sound okay??"

Well, yeah..in this environment, that sounds awesome...but that all changes from that room to walking to the massive parking garage. It is SO stressful and is a 6 hour round trip. I dread it every time. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@PamelaSisco

working with a skilled audiologist who you have a great rapport with is very helpful for sure