Considering cochlear implant for SSD - professional flutist

Lisa Y

I am a professional flutist who experienced SSD when I was 30 years old.  I used one ear exclusively for 17 years as there was nothing medically available to help me.  8 years ago I obtained a bone anchored hearing aid.  Perceiving the sound occurring on my bad side enabled me to once again play in orchestras.

Due to ongoing skin problems around my metal abutment site, I am strongly  considering switching to a CI.

I am interested in hearing from others with SSD and a CI.  In particular, I would like to know if you experienced hearing different musical pitches in each ear long term, or if that issue ultimately normalized. Do you perceive hearing music in stereo sound?  Are you able to once again locate where sounds are coming from?

Also, is Med-El the manufacturer of your CI or do you have an CI made by another company?

I so appreciate any feedback you are able to offer.

Lisa

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Mary Beth we are also corresponding privately. 

In summary yes I hear in wonderful full stereo, including all the nuances of music for listening and performing. I can locate sound normally again and my pitch is as good as ever. Sounds were at first a bit weird and robotic but quickly resolved into 1 clear sound within a few weeks or months. I was still able to enjoy music during this early time though.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lisa Y

I am not SSD but for 24 years I heard only through my left ear’s hearing aid after a surgery on my right ear for Ménière’s.  During those 24 years I could not locate any sound.  I was not sure if my brain would relearn that ability after getting a CI.  But it did!  I can locate sounds now easily.  A true benefit of listening with two separate ears.

Now I have 2 CIs.  I LOVE the true stereo effect especially when listening to music with headphones.  It is so cool.

I have shared many music moments here, I will try to tag you in case you are interested.

Have you been in touch yet with Johanna Boyer at Med-El ?  She is SSD and a musician and works for Med-El .

Here is a link that includes my music experience with CIs.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lisa Y

here is another link where I talk about music with my CIs

Thank you so much Mary Beth.  I so appreciate you sharing.  How do I contact Johanna Boyer?  I tried sending a message to her name through the forum, but received a message that she was “not receiving messages”.

Lisa

On 4/22/2023 at 2:33 PM, Lisa Y said:

Thank you so much Mary Beth.  I so appreciate you sharing.  How do I contact Johanna Boyer?  I tried sending a message to her name through the forum, but received a message that she was “not receiving messages”.

Lisa

Not MB but am a Violinist.  Johanna is awesome.  Her email is Johanna.Boyer@medel.com.  Also, CC your local rep so they’re also in the loop and helping where they can.