Android users, be cautious about Android 14 Beta

Tim

• Members

Just a quick heads up that Android Med-El users should be careful about trying the Android 14 Beta program.

Installed Beta 1 on my Pixel 6a and AudioKey 2 can no longer connect to my processors (Rondo 3 or Sonnet 2).  Connectivity was working fine on Android 13.  Connectivity is still working with my Android 13 Samsung S6 Lite tablet.

I logged a Beta bug report with Google last week and they appear to working on it. 

I had a 1:1 session with Med-El today and we couldn't fix it so it doesn't appear to be user-error.  (Always a possibility!)

I expect that it will get fixed soon and before a final relase of Android 14 (whether a change to Android 14 or AudioKey 2) .  In any case, I just wanted to warn others that might be thinking of being adventurous and trying the new version of the OS.  I figure it is good for this kind of feedback to make sure that new versions work well for everyone.  If anyone else here is trying Android 14 Beta and it IS working, please let me know.  

I'm not faulting Android or Med-El on this, it was self-inflicted on my part by trying a Beta OS release.  There would be a similar risk to beta testing Apple IOS releases.

In the interim, I'll be relying more on my tablet for streaming. 

• Thanks 2

Thats a great thing to do tim!! I have had an s23ultra for a few weeks now and works great with my audiostream and oticon hearing aid. Hope they put the fix in thanks to you!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just an update, last month's Android Beta 2 did not fix the problem, nor did the 2.1 update patch.

Beta 3 was released yesterday.  It seems to have helped a little but did not fully fix the problem.  On Sonnet 2, I can get AudioKey 2 working but not Audiostream.  I'll try doing some more wrestling with stuff over the weekend.  (Appears to still be a problem with the BT as it never recognizes the device as the Audiostream connection but instead the hexadecimal BT ID.)

Last month Med-El advised that I revert back to Android 13 (non-beta) but I instead switched to using the Rondo and my Audiolink connected to my old tablet with a cable for streaming.  (Reverting to Android 13 would mean a factory reset of the entire phone which is more of a pain than just limiting my streaming to something other than my phone.)

The same advice holds as earlier, hold off on experimenting with the Android 14 Beta.  I'm sure it will be working after the full release later in the Summer.

I'll post in this thread if there are any updates.

Tim

Thankyou tim. I am having some issues now which i did not have when i first received my samsung s23ultra. I used smart switch, perhaps old system was paired up well. I dont believe i upgraded between last month and now but i am having issues. Good warning ⚠️ hopefully repair itself soon or i magically fix it myself!!

• Members

It would be nice if Med-El gave some form of diagnostic information for connection problems.  I understand their wanting to keep things simple but there are a lot more younger, tech savvy CI wearers that would expect more information - perhaps hide it behind  an "advanced" option.

Tim

On 6/9/2023 at 10:47 AM, Tim said:

It would be nice if Med-El gave some form of diagnostic information for connection problems.  I understand their wanting to keep things simple but there are a lot more younger, tech savvy CI wearers that would expect more information - perhaps hide it behind  an "advanced" option.

Tim

Agreed, but all the cl mfg would have to have a team on apple and android!! Lots of research resources to keep up with apple and androids research, jeez.  Good luck and thanks again for testing tim!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Yay - Android 14, Beta 4 dropped today and I finally have Audiostream working again!  Seems like now refers to my Audiostream as "Hearing Aids" rather than calling it "Audiostream" but it works -  I'm streaming an audiobook as I type this. 

Since April I had been relying on my Rondo 3 and Audiolink. 

Timing was great - tomorrow is my 6 month mapping appointment.