who is a candidate for a Kanso Sound Processor?

georgewes

I am just getting my feet wet so to speak when it comes to cochlear implants since it has now been suggested that I get one.   So one of my first questions(out of many questions I assume) is:   Does being a candidate for a Kanso Sound Processor depend upon how bad a persons hearing is?    The ear where I will have the implant is totally gone now.   I should have asked if everyone who is a candidate for a CI can also have the Kanso Sound Processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

Kanso is made by Cochlear. Med el makes Rondo which is the single unit device. It is used on a cochlear implant and can switch it with the Sonnet which is the two piece unit made by Med el. Pease have a look at the Med el website for more information.  I'm sure others will be able to answer the more detailed questions. As Rondo has only one mic on it Sonnet has two. Some say that Rondo doesn't have as good sound quality others say it's great. It's very individual. 

• HearPeers Heroes

George,

If you are eligible for a cochlear implant, you can choose which brand (3 FDA approved brands in the US: Med-El, Advanced Bionics and Cochlear).  After you choose the brand, you may select from that brand's processors.

This is a Med-El forum so almost all of us have Med-El.  Med-El processors are Rondo (one piece unit) and Sonnet (behind the ear unit).

Wishing you the best.

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Not much different.

RONDO came first. Kanso has added features. Dual microphone, direct streaming of audio via mini mic and tv streamer, phone clip needed to interface with smart phone.

RONDO 2 has wireless charging capability so no need for batteries like Kanso!

• HearPeers Heroes

One thing to remember about CI processors versus hearing aids is that the CI processor is only one piece of the system.  How things actually sound is greatly dependent on the internal CI components.  So it may be helpful to compare the internal components from Med-EL (Rondo and Rondo 2 processors work with Med-El internal components- which now is the Synchrony) to the internal components from Cochlear (Kanso works with Cochlear internal components).

@stream2525

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

One thing to remember about CI processors versus hearing aids is that the CI processor is only one piece of the system.  How things actually sound is greatly dependent on the internal CI components.  So it may be helpful to compare the internal components from Med-EL (Rondo and Rondo 2 processors work with Med-El internal components- which now is the Synchrony) to the internal components from Cochlear (Kanso works with Cochlear internal components).

Well, I read that it also depends on the processor and the hearing history. I read somewhere that if I have some hearing in the low frequencies, which is true in my case, the best option is to have a processor with Hybrid such as sonnet which can provide acoustic stimulation . So, a one piece processor like Rondo doesn't have this ability. This is why I am also on the other topic to figure out the differences between Rondo and Sonnet. 

@stream2525

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

You are absolutely correct.  If you have low frequency hearing that qualifies for an electric-acoustic processor, the one piece processors can not provide that.  The Sonnet EAS is the processor that can let you benefit from low frequency hearing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

MedEl and Cochlear Americas differ internally as well

MedEl beleives in addressing the full length of the cochlea, CA believes otherwise. AB does not address that issue on the web site but MedEl and AB are similar in their programming strategies

• 1 year later...

As a former Cochlear device user, I can tell you that Kanso is not as good as the Nucleus 7 processor, because Kanso is based on the older Nucleus 6 technology.  My understanding is that that is not the case with the Rondo 2, which apparently uses the same software and hardware as the Sonnet processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

The Rondo 2 and the Sonnet processors use different automatic sound management.  The Sonnet has 2 mics and uses ASM 2.  The Rondo 2 has 1 mic  and uses ASM 1.  

I have the Sonnets and choose to listen in omni mic setting always, which uses 1 mic.  I prefer the access to sound that omni mic settings offer.

I hear well in all three of my processors.  (OPUS2, Rondo and Sonnets)  For me, each processor has its own unique benefits.

I wonder what Med-El has in store for us in the future?  

• 3 years later...

Thanks!  I am more confused than I was before reading the comments.
I wouldn’t know which to try or buy, to switch from my Nucleus 7.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Cecil Renfield

HearPeers is hosted by the Med-El CI brand so almost all of us here have Med-El brand implants.  The processors being discussed only work with internal Med-El components.  Med-El’s current processors are Sonnet2 (BTE unit) and Rondo 3 (one piece off the ear unit).  Both Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 offer the same MAPping options.  It’s just personal preference.