extremely vain about my appearance

georgewes

I grew up the youngest of 4 children with 3 older sisters that I lived with during their teenage years.   You know how teenage girls can be vain.   I learned to be very vain of my appearance both both physically and socially.   I knew everything a teenage girl knew about fashion including what colors matched and which didn't.(brown and green never went together for instance.)   Now that wouldn't have been such an overwhelming influence if my father would have been a rough and tough type that didn't pay much attention to all that fashion and other stuff.   But he was as vain as a teenage girl.   He would shave before going fishing.  So that is why I ended up so darn vain and I have lived with it as it just being a part of me.   But that is why I would want the knew implant that is the size of the quarter and not the big hearing aid with the cord leading to the side of the head.   Do I have any sympathizers at this point?   But ear that I am may get the implant on is completely deaf after a serious infection.   So one question that I have is can I get that small device on an hear that is completely deaf or doesn't it make a difference?

I'll jump in first I guess and will say I don't think there are too many reasons that would mean not being able to wear the Rondo rather than the Sonnet. There are plus and minuses to both that your audiologist will discuss with you in detail.

I was very vain as a teenager when I started to lose my hair at about 14 onwards. I would wear a hat everywhere. But as I got older I found I just didn't care so much and quit with the hat. It was kind of liberating. 

I went with the Sonnet because I'm a pretty active guy and wanted the added bit of security of the around the ear piece. Even so, the whole unit went flying off my head when I slipped on ice last winter. 

I used to be a bit self conscious when I would try to wear hearing aids but since the operation and activation I'm proud of my Sonnet and am thinking of changing the colours to something somewhat brighter ?

Good luck on your journey!

• HearPeers Heroes

It is hard not to want to show these amazing CIs off once we experience how life changing they can be.  Smile.  Can't wait to hear what colors you go with Hicksy.  Smile.

George- you can choose the one piece processor or the behind the ear processor.  They both work great.  There are differences but they both work with completely deaf ears that have been implanted.  However, I would not call the Rondo quarter sized.  Ask your audiologist to show it to you.  Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi I will slip in here. I was not sure about how big the processor was going to be either! Like Mary Beth says the device is so liberating that I switched up and got brighter colours! I currently have black with green! Loving it. Makes it easier to find too. 

• Like 1