Bimodal- one CI and one hearing aid

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Med-El’s software allows our audiologists to match the timing of lots of hearing aids so that the timing is synced between hearing aid and CI processor (Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3).  Just ask your CI audiologist to do this.

Streaming to both a Sonnet/Sonnet2 using the AudioStream battery cover AND a hearing aid at the same time requires an android phone at this time and only certain hearing aid models.  Med-El keeps a list of compatible android phones and hearing aid models here…

https://www.medel.com/en-us/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiostream#compatibility

This streaming ability is called dual audio and at this time it is only offered on certain android devices.

@Anne N

362DB6E1-56AF-438E-818A-159DF691CF14.jpeg

A9EB58D2-C10A-4C8B-8945-D3CD3346AF9D.jpeg

Hi anne, i hVe sonnet2eas on left, oticon more 3 on right.

I can and have been streaming with audiostream and HA, and samsung s9+ recently upgraded to samsung galaxy s23ultra. 

I have had audiolink set up with HA in a room by my audi and since once or twice but kind of overwhelming for me at this point balancing my sides. Implanted aug 2021 added the new HA sep 2022. I trained the ci side first with rehab ( ha side has about 50 percent) then added HA. Im hearing better than ever!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Etobican

It depends on what you mean by “compatible”.

Rondo 3 can have its timing set to match many different hearing aids by our audiologists.  This timing match is supposed to help with locating sounds in our environment as the CI processor is faster than hearing aids so the processor is set to match the timing of many hearing aids.

info here

https://www.medel.pro/online-resources/timing-settings-for-hearing-aids

If you are asking about streaming audio to both a Rondo 3 and a HA, that is not easily accomplished as far as I know.

Thanks Mary Beth

I think the problem is my phrasing of the question. I am using the Rondo 3 and a Phonak Naida SP. It always seems to me that one is overpowering the other and to me there is no way to adjust both devices to closely the same volume. 

I saw the following on the Rondo 3 site. 

"Compatible with All Hearing Aids

RONDO 3 is compatible with every brand and type of hearing aid because RONDO 3 and MED-EL cochlear implant systems mimic natural hearing.

What's more, RONDO 3 can even be easily adjusted for optimal hearing with any hearing aid—including the hearing aid you’re already wearing on the other ear now. Since you won’t need to buy a new hearing aid on the other side, you’ll save money and the trouble needed to readjust to a new one. Simply incredible!"

That is what I am looking for and was simply checking with you if that is the case. Phonak has told me the Naida Link M is their model that this applies to.

Being able to adjust both devices with one controller would be great!

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

@Etobican

It is not possible to adjust both a hearing aid and Rondo 3 with one controller.

@Etobican I’d recommend going to your audiologist for an adjustment. Tell them one side seems to be stronger than the other and they can adjust so the base settings are more equal. 

I was briefly bimodal and when my two sides were not close together if I turned either my hearing aid or CI off I’d feel like I just shut off 80% of my hearing. I told my audiologist that and she went in and adjusted the settings until I was comfortable that they were close enough. This adjustment was in terms of loudness; adjustments for speed helps reduce echos as the CI is quicker than any hearing aid.

The last hearing aid I had was Phonak Naida Paradise P90-UP while bimodal; I’d had to upgrade from an older (8ish year old) Naida 90 SP/UP, I just plumb forget which specific model it was.