Second mic and wind suppression

tjwarney

Just had the second mic and wind suppression turned on for my Sonnet.  I would like to ask if anyone has felt they had improvements?  To me the wind still sounds loud going though my sonnet, and I am not sure the second mic has done anything.  Of course just having them activated I will continue to use it for awhile.  But so far I am not impressed.

• HearPeers Heroes

There are three mic setting options.  Which do you have on your Sonnet now?

-omni

-natural

-adaptive (3 types of adaptive are ALWAYS DIRECTIONAL, DIRECTIONAL AT 50, DIRECTIONAL AT 60:  only one of these can be chosen at a time)

Hi, thanks for your input.  They have it set on "always directional".

• HearPeers Heroes

I find adaptive always directional to make a noticeable difference in noisy situations.  If you still have an omni setting you can compare whenyou are in noise.

• HearPeers Heroes

Your Audi can change the wnd noise setting. There are three. Soft medium and strong. 

• HearPeers Heroes

In the US our windblock choices are OFF, MILD or STRONG.  There may be differences in other countries.

• HearPeers Heroes

I find the second microphone to be very subtle UNLESS you switch back and forth to find the difference (I still have Omni setting). For instance I didn't think there was much difference until I sat under a ceiling fan and switched it back and forth. There I noticed Omni had a loud hum and Adaptive had a soft hum of the fan.  

Also, the Adaptive works exceptionally well in noisy situations as Mary Beth mentioned. As for the wind, I don't think you'll ever eliminate it completely. My windblock is on and I still hear the wind when I go outside. It's slightly better than before?

I should also mention I just got the second mic turned on 2 weeks ago this Friday!

• HearPeers Heroes

I am experimenting with adaptive always directional now.  I like it very much.  Ate at a very noisy restaurant last night and I heard better than the hearing people at our table.  They all wanted their own Fine Tuner!

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe my Adaptive setting is at "always directional." My audiologist kept it simple ? Just Omni and Adaptive on my Finetuner. My mom and I went to the Cheesecake Factory after my Audi appointment and she had a hard time hearing me and I heard her perfectly! Isn't that something?!

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol Megan I experienced the same thing in the mall!!

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great Kara!!! Awesome ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

Are you staying in adaptive always directional all of the time or switching between omni and adaptive?  If you are switching, when do you prefer each setting?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I switch between the 2! When out of the house I use the Adaptive and when watching tv or listening to music I'll switch to Omni. And I will randomly switch to see which sounds better in any given situation just out of curiosity. I've been trying to leave it on Adaptive to get used to it. My map was also changed, so I am adjusting all around! ? Are you switching between the 2?

• HearPeers Heroes

I was switching between omni and adaptive directional at 60 dB.  Out and about in adaptive directional in 60 dB and home in omni for TV and music.  Very similar to you.

Now I am trying adaptive always directional and it is doing well with the TV so far.  I have not tried it with music yet.

Which is better for you on the phone?

• HearPeers Heroes

Tonight I left it in Adaptive when watching tv and it does sound good! Just realized that. 

Listening to music in the car with Adaptive sounds really good to me. 

The phone sounds pretty much the same to me. Although, I use the Telecoil. So, I can't speak to the sound of the phone when on M. My audiologist said that in theory, the phone should sound better on Adaptive as it should suppress background noise. What's your take on the phone?

• HearPeers Heroes

I used to use the phone on T but trained to be able to use it on M since I wanted to be able to pick up any phone even if my Fine Tuner wasn't handy.

On M in quiet the phone is fine on omni or adaptive.  In noise, on adaptive is better but I have to be more careful positioning the phone over the front mic on adaptive.  Omni is only the front mic so that's not an issue.

I am really glad that your journey is going so well Megan!

• HearPeers Heroes

Good to know Mary Beth! When I finally make it to using just M on the phone that info will help ?

Thank you Mary Beth! My journey has gone a lot better than I originally anticipated ? I'm glad I can share it with you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I have Directional and Omni programs set.

I use Directional when in a restaurant to aid in understanding speech at my table. Its not perfect but is does help a little.

I also use the Roger Pen a lot. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Joe,

Whenever you have the Roger X receiver plugged into the FM sleeve of your Sonnet, the Sonnet automatically moves into omni mic setting with a 50/50 mix ratio.  (Even if you have your Sonnet in adaptive program slot). Just FYI.

Guess I need to go back.  She never told me there is a way to change the miss via the finder.  Again thanks all for the input.

• HearPeers Heroes

tjwarney,

We can not change mic settings nor windblock via the Fine Tuner.  What happens is our audiologists create programs for us with different mic settings and windblock settings and saves them in our 4 program slots.  Then by changing from programs 1-4 we can access different mic settings and windblock settings that our audiologist set up for us.