jckstrr

jckstrr

Before my implant (which is only 4 days old) I used to equalise by holding my nose and blowing in order to restore a semblance of hearing in both my ears. I would do this at least once every hour or so and then the dullness in my hearing would creep back up and I would have to do it again. All the people that I have reported this to have dismissed it as being perceptual and not important but it made my life my easier and perceptual or not I could hear better once I had equalised.

My surgeon and the recovery blogs I read say that this is an absolute no-no after surgery but no-one tells me why. I am so very frustrated because my right ear - which does not have an implant -is still building up the dullness and it is making any hearing very difficult at all. Also the equalising is such a habit that I am finding it difficult to stop myself in time and have equalised at least once every day since the op.

Can anyone tell me why this is so important and what the impact of 'forgetting' could be?

Thank you

• HearPeers Heroes

Well it can cause cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) leaks. You don't want to mess with the implantation as well. I was told not to blow my nose even after for 6 weeks. I'm on of those people who always has some complications. I had two CSF leaks in surgery which actually is quite rare. So practice and do the best you can. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi jckstrr,

Repeated nose blowing causes pressure on the implant site and can result in neumocephalus (the accumulation of  air) along the electrode array.

A tube may need to be inserted in the middle ear to decrease the pressure. Try to not blow your nose.

I am confused. Are we saying that we should never equalize pressure or blow our nose?  Or is this rule just for immediately after surgery?

• HearPeers Heroes

Just for immediately after surgery.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

On 7/1/2017 at 9:26 AM, jckstrr said:

Before my implant (which is only 4 days old) I used to equalise by holding my nose and blowing in order to restore a semblance of hearing in both my ears. I would do this at least once every hour or so and then the dullness in my hearing would creep back up and I would have to do it again. All the people that I have reported this to have dismissed it as being perceptual and not important but it made my life my easier and perceptual or not I could hear better once I had equalised.

My surgeon and the recovery blogs I read say that this is an absolute no-no after surgery but no-one tells me why. I am so very frustrated because my right ear - which does not have an implant -is still building up the dullness and it is making any hearing very difficult at all. Also the equalising is such a habit that I am finding it difficult to stop myself in time and have equalised at least once every day since the op.

Can anyone tell me why this is so important and what the impact of 'forgetting' could be?

Thank you

Hi! Thanks for reaching out to the HearPeers community. We strongly recommend staying in close contact  with your medical professional about this as they will be able to offer you specific medical advice and information. Wishing you all the best on your hearing journey ahead! Kind regards, Leigh - HearPeers Community Moderator