Just had CI surgery August 31

Jane

Hi Jane,

Welcome to this very valuable website. You have many who will be glad to help you with your learning experience. 

My implant surgery was on June 22, 2017, so I am also a newbie. Take some time to browse and you will see many helpful tips as well as personal experiences with implants. I've received helpful advice, such as "hang in there" (I'm a slow learner). Personal experiences very from immediate success upon activation to still getting the brain trained following various time periods.

Best of luck to you. Persevere - this is my mantra. . . . . Al West 

Thanks for responding I found this forum a few days ago when my daughter kiddingly said look online when I was wondering the best way to wash my hair while trying not to get the incision wet:)and I found my answers :) and since then I've been on it and learning so much and feeling so much better seeing that what I'm going through is so normal :)and I did finally get brace enough to wash my hair today and feel like a new person .

how are you doing ?

Thank you all this is so exciting to be part of this group ?And comforting to know I have people to talk to about what they've experienced!!

I do have a question..my surgeon says it's ok to walk for exercise ..I'm now 5 days post op..luckily no dizziness just pressure around ear and implant ..how and when would you all suggest I start walking ?

(before surgery I was pretty active Doing Pilates weight lifting and walking )

• HearPeers Heroes

It is up to you and your surgeon. Some people get right back at it. Others take some time to recover before their ready. Always start small though. You wouldn't want a dizzy attack to come on far from home. 

I'm thinking of going pretty slow and being cautious plus I'll probably just walk around my house with ragweed season outdoors where I live now and not being able to blow your nose or sneeze through your nose I'm being safe!

TU for answering 

• HearPeers Heroes

Yup! Sounds good. Rest up too. 

P..s.  Ragweed is not my friend either!! Lol ?

I'm doing plenty of that ..I've loaded up with books from the library Amazon and Barnes and nobles ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Great best of luck!! Activation is a wild ride!! Then the journey begins!!! 

Now I'm just resting at home until I see the surgeon for follow up visit sept 18..I'm just taking it easy ..and when people here post that people really expect you to be bouncing back and hearing I've found that out especially when they hear its outpatient surgery !

And now I have to explain I can't wear my hearing aide in that ear so my hearing is even worse ?

• HearPeers Heroes

A temporary setback.  Just wait for the fun to begin.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes don't worry. The excitement is yet to begin. 

• 4 weeks later...

hi Anni it went really well ..I was able to understand speech after a few minutes ..the sound was very robotic as expected but by last night I realized my husband sounded like himself just in a tunnel ..it seems every hour I’m hearing more sounds ..it is so exciting ..

how are you ???

Oh that’s great news!! I’m so happy for you! I amdoing well also ans am loving being able to understand people again  on my deaf side!