Hearoes app will require payment to access sections

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Users of the Hearoes app- which has been free- are reporting that the app will require payment to access sections beginning mid June.  The notification pops up within the app.  Just FYI.

• Members

I saw the pricing message once when I opened the app but I don't see any mention in the app or on the web site.

https://www.hearoes.com/

As I recall, it is around $8 or $9 a month with special offer of the first year for around $40 or $50

I'm a big fan of Hearoes but don't like adding yet another monthly subscription. 

I would be willing to pay $10 or $20 for the app as a one time payment. More than nearly any phone app I've bought in 20 years of smartphones.  On the other hand, a monthly subscription similar to Netflix feels high.  

I absolutely refuse to pay any fees for any app GREEDY 

• HearPeers Heroes

The screenshots I saw stated almost $100 per year as a special price for existing users or a bit more than $8 monthly.

(which mathematically does not make the annual price a discount oddly)

• Members

I wouldn't say it was greedy developers.  He has put in an immense amount of time in the development, I expect at least a thousand (maybe multiple thousands) hours over the years.  He may have gotten some compensation from the sponsors but that time and effort should be recognized and rewarded.

It is no more greedy for him to expect to get paid for his work and expertise than for a plumber to expect to get paid to fix your sink or for Chipotle to expect to get paid for your dinner. 

As someone that has done some software and technical books that I make freely available, I can see both sides.  It was great when it was freely available and his message said that there would a free, albeit limited in some ways, option. 

If it helped to ensure that there was long-term development and support, I don't mind giving him $10 or $20 but I don't want to get locked into a long-term monthly commitment.

He has continued updating and enhancing the app in just the 5 months I've been activated and using it. 

My hats off to this developer - he has done a great job and all the more impressive since he doesn't have the backing of a CI manufacturer like some apps.  He has even popped in to HearPeers periodically. 

Figuring out pricing is tricky.  I suspect he is getting some pushback and perhaps the lack of messaging on the web site is a sign he is reconsidering the pricing model.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 2:44 AM, Dave in Pittsburgh said:

I absolutely refuse to pay any fees for any app GREEDY 

Did you get your implant and surgery for free (you may not have paid out of pocket for it, but insurance isn't free)? 

I am happy to pay for apps that serve a purpose and help you. I have used both Hearoes (free) and Auribus (free/paid); it takes a lot of work to build an app, and I am willing to pay for quality content. Good apps take money to produce.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2023 at 7:24 PM, Tiel said:

Did you get your implant and surgery for free (you may not have paid out of pocket for it, but insurance isn't free)? 

I am happy to pay for apps that serve a purpose and help you. I have used both Hearoes (free) and Auribus (free/paid); it takes a lot of work to build an app, and I am willing to pay for quality content. Good apps take money to produce.

Is auribus an app for android? I can't find it.

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2023 at 5:44 PM, Rickymark said:

Is auribus an app for android? I can't find it.

I have iOS, so I don't know.

After looking at the Auribus website, I only see the apple logo. My guess is no.

• 4 months later...

I use Hearos and think it is fantastic.  It changes the words and style every time I do an exercise even if it the same one over and over again.  The reinforcement of sound to words has to be as good as it gets.  It shows your historical progress and makes each session a challenge to try to better the trend.  Doesn't always happen, but I guess that's part of the process.

As for payment, I have not seen any request for this.  Maybe it was included in my initial activation (6 weeks ago). I have an Samsung phone so Apple things tend not to come up.