Wearing Helmets for Sports

Sarah D

Hi all - I am new to this forum so I apologize if this topic has already been discussed but our daughter is 2.5yrs old and was bilaterally implanted at 1yr.  She wears the Sonnet processors.  She is very active and already loves sports and I want to ensure that her CIs do not hold her back.  We would like to be able to take her skating this winter and dread the thought of trying to get a hockey helmet on her with her processors/coils.  Looking for anyone out there with young children that play hockey who would have some tips/strategies for us.  An (under armour) skull cap has been suggested to me but I"m not aware that they make these in children's sizes...

Thanks!

I'm sure it can be done. I get my processor this week! So I'll be figuring out how to fit my bike helmets this weekend.

You've seen this article? http://bit.ly/2xlvuqE.  Not much info about how this boy fit his football helmet other than the skull cap idea.  For skating, maybe look at finding a helmet  that's "soft" around the ears - more of a "hat" than a full helmet.  And find one with a bigger shell and extra pads to take up the volume, rather than a low volume, form fitting shell.  Then create a little pocket where the processor and coil will fit - if there are an assortment of fitting pads, use the thinner ones in this area or cut the pads down.  I ski/snowboard and I know there are helmets with dial-ratchet fitting systems (similar to bike helmets) and warm fuzzy ear flaps. Maybe try one of these as well?

• HearPeers Heroes

What about a feedback when microphones on the processor are covered? 

This is a pretty interesting solution....

• HearPeers Heroes

No feedback with CIs!  Such a welcome relief after many, many years of feedback with HAs!

What a great observation! Wore my snowmobile helmet with great trepidation about a month after activation a few times with no problems at all and never even noticed the lack of feedback. It was a neat experience.

• Like 2