Questions for Surgeon

Jdashiell

• HearPeers Heroes

I am meeting my surgeon this Friday 4 more days. I am preparing a list of questions and was wondering if any one has a list they used.

Maybe we could post a thorough one for new candidates to consider too.

Thanks,

Joe

• HearPeers Heroes

Do you want to share your list of questions and we can suggest additions?

• HearPeers Heroes

Which electrode or electrodes will you have in the operating room?

Are there any things that concern you or you think may make things more complicated?

Will you try to place the second CI in about the same position as the other side?

Will you be taking an X-ray during surgery to check electrode placement?

What restrictions will I be following post op?

When will my follow up appt with you be?

Will you be prescribing any medication post surgery?

7 hours ago, Jdashiell said:

I am meeting my surgeon this Friday 4 more days. I am preparing a list of questions and was wondering if any one has a list they used.

Maybe we could post a thorough one for new candidates to consider too.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe, 

Thanks for your suggestion! You might be interested in checking out our posts on the MED-EL Blog all about what to ask your CI surgeon:

https://blog.medel.com/10-questions-you-shouldnt-miss-asking-your-cochlear-implant-surgeon/

https://blog.medel.com/42-questions-ask-hearing-implant-surgery/

Wishing you all the best for your surgery this Friday and thinking of you! 

Kind regards,

Leigh -HearPeers Support Team

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Joe,

Also want to wish you the best for your upcoming surgery.

Suggest asking the surgeon if 3D imaging will be performed to see the exact location of the electrode array. I believe X Ray can show it is in cochlear but not exact position. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Nope - you can see it only in one perspective and you take it only to see in what relation is the electrode with modiolus. 

F8.large.jpg

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Good picture, but after looking at this electrode array, I feel so glad that I went with MedEL:)

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Here is a list I will use today when I see my surgeon

I post it here for all to use 

Questions for CI Surgeon

1.     Which electrode or electrodes will you have in the operating room?

2.     What are the risks of this corrective surgery?

3.     What is the best outcome that I can expect from this surgery?

4.     Are there any concerns you think may make things more complicated?

5.     Will you try to place the second CI in about the same position as the other side?

6.     Will you be taking an X-ray during surgery to check electrode placement?

7.     What restrictions will I be following post op?

8.     When will my follow up appt with you be?

9.     Will you be prescribing any medication post surgery?

10. How many corrective CI surgeries have you performed?

11. What is your success rate for CI surgeries? For corrective CI surgeries?

12. What complications have you encountered?

13. What Pre-op id required?

14. Has __ins. co_____agreed to cover the surgery?

15. Where will the surgery be performed? What hospital?

16. Is that hospital a preferred provider of _ins co______? Are You? Anesthesiologists? 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Here is a MedEl YouTube video of implantation in the cochlea. its a fluoroscope view in a laboratory setting. Its not gory at all.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
18 hours ago, Cara Mia said:

Good picture, but after looking at this electrode array, I feel so glad that I went with MedEL:)

:):)

• HearPeers Heroes

I have this on my refrigerator as a daily reminder. I put it there 20 some odd years ago to remind my daughters of attitude on life.

I look at attitude on living with hearing loss and dealing with hearing aids and now cochlear implants.

I post it here for all to read and be inspired.

Attitude 

by Charles Swindoll

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes."

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Truer words have never been spoken.

thanks for sharing @Jdashiell

You are a walking example of this.  

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

It is almost December 1st!  I hope you find out your new surgery date soon!  Thinking of you and wishing you the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am told that the custom implant will arrive at MedEl US office November 27. And a MedEl AuD from that Office wants to attend the surgery when scheduled 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

Very interesting.  I didn’t know the Med El audiologists ever attended surgeries.  I have heard of Med El surgeons who attend surgeries sometimes.  Maybe they are called SAMs? (Surgical account managers).  I am learning a lot from your journey.

custom implant......well respected surgeon......Med El attending the surgery

Things are looking very promising indeed.  

Wishing you the absolute best, Joe.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 10/3/2017 at 11:06 AM, Jdashiell said:

I have this on my refrigerator as a daily reminder. I put it there 20 some odd years ago to remind my daughters of attitude on life.

I look at attitude on living with hearing loss and dealing with hearing aids and now cochlear implants.

I post it here for all to read and be inspired.

Attitude 

by Charles Swindoll

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes."

I love this! Thanks for sharing @Jdashiell

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the list of questions @JdashiellI am scheduled to meet with Dr Eshragi on January 24. So I will be sure to walk with your list.