How Did You Spend Your Time Right After Surgery

Shirsee

Hi,
I'm 4 days post-op. I'm just wondering how everyone spent their time in between surgery and activation. I feel good but I'm afraid to do much and I'm bored. I'm wondering if most of you went back to typical activities very soon after surgery. How long did you wait to get exercise, clean the house, get out of the house, resume your work or hobbies, all that sort of thing and especially in the very early days, what did you do to keep busy? Thanks so much. Going a little crazy here. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi!  Glad you are feeling so good so soon.

I returned to work after one week.  I had to follow restrictions on lifting, etc but other than those restrictions I was back in my regular routine.  This varies a lot from person to person.

When is your activation?  Which processor did you select?

• HearPeers Heroes

Congrats! Welcome to the group!! It's a wild ride!! Rest up. Do a whole lot of nothing till you feel better. 

My surgery was August 31..since I’m not working the first 2 weeks until my post op with my dr I just chilled out followed the surgeons recommendations of lifting so I didn’t do housework I read a lot (several books out there by people who’ve had CI s)binge watched some Tv Shows..I wasn’t bored cause I was pretty tender around my ear and implant so that’s kinda nice you’re bored? What did your surgeon say you can and can’t do?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Shirsee,  I am glad for you that you can ask such questions :)

Both times I had my surgeries on Wednesday and was back to work on Monday with activations a week after. So, I was lucky to have not so much time between surgery and activation. While waiting I restricted my usual activities according to my surgeon recommendation, mostly as a precaution. But I was able to make a long walk with my doggies in the forest starting from the third day after surgery. I did everything that not included jumping, bend down, lifting heavy objects (more that 10 lbs). I resumed my exercises in a week but I did it gradually, listening my body response as I believe that everything in our life should be balanced, comfortable, and happy :)

But definitely take it easy don't miss the rare opportunity to get a sense of calm and relaxing life. Now I think I should spend more time in a bed with books and be more relaxing before stepping on the terra incognita. There is a lot of new things are awaiting for you - appointments for mapping, learning how to hear and understand people and number of electronic devises with your CI, rehab activities....

Good luck with your activation!