Sonnet not very water resistant

Helgeo

I have been using Sonnet for almost two years now, it is fantastic most of the time. But it is so sensitive to moisture like rain or sweat. I have replaced my processor 6 or 7 times since I got it due to water entering one of the microphones. Med-El claims that the Sonnet is water resistant but it is not.

Problems occurs when doing heavy physical work (sweating) or being outside in rain. Of course I'm carefully trying to protect the processor against water, but sometimes it is unavoidable to expose it to some sweat or light rain.

Using an "Ear-Gear" cover protects it well, and of course the water-wear is 100% water proof, but these protectors are usually only used in planned situations with risk of moisture. But sometimes people (at least me) end up in situations where sweating or rain comes unplanned and where we still want to be able to hear people around us.

I think the main problem is the design of the filter, it is facing right up and once a drop of water lands on one of the microphone grids it will slip through and become trapped inside the filter. Once water gets beyond the filter it is too late to fix by replacing filter or place in dryer, the only solution is to get a new processor.

Also I have very short hair so the processor is not protected by my hair.

I have been wearing Widex Inteo Super (BTE)hearing aids for many years, and still have one on one side. These hearing aids have nano coated filter covers with openings on the sides. Not once have I had any problem with water on these aids. I have tried to suggest to MedEl Nordic that they look into the filter design, but it seems to be difficult to get the message through.

Does anyone else have moisture problems with the Sonnet?

Best regards from Norway,

Helge

• HearPeers Heroes

I found my Sonnets still worked but the quality of sound was greatly impacted until they went through the Dry Kit cycle.

Guess I should have mentioned that many times it works to just wipe water off the outside of the filter or to use the dry kit. But if water gets inside the microphone itself it will not come out again. 

The sound does not disappear completely, but the noise filtering gets very upset once there is a difference between the two microphones. If only the front microphone is wet it gets really bad in all programs, if only the rear microphone gets wet the processor still works normally in programs without noise cancelling.

Anyway, it would be great if Med-El could design a new filter that avoids the water issue completely. It is definitely doable as it works well on the Widex HA. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with you and also think the placement of the Sonnet mics could be improved to reduce wind noise as well.

I have not had problems with water getting in mine, but then again I try not to do physical work.:)  My concern is trying to change the microphone cover.  Being older my fingers do not work well and the pin you have to remove is TINY.  You would think they could do a better design.

• HearPeers Heroes

Changing the mic cover is a difficult task for anyone with visual difficulties or dexterity difficulties.  Some people are having their audiologists change their mic covers at appointments by bringing new mic covers with them to appts.  I need to change my Sonnet mic covers every two months to maintain consistent sound quality so that would be difficult for me to do.  Some people have a trusted friend or family member change the mic covers for them.

I hope the next BTE processor has a different mic set up completely so wind noise, hair noise and changing the mic covers are no longer issues for anyone.

• HearPeers Heroes

Much agreed Mary Beth. They are tricky for sure. I was terrified at first when I had to attempt this. But now it's easy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to an audiologist last week about the filters on the Sonnet. He said that Med-el is working on a new design that will include nano-coated filters and that it may possibly be available within the next year. Not sure if this will be retrofit filters for the Sonnet or if there is an entirely new processor design coming out. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Helgeo

That would be terrific!  Maybe then the sound quality would not be degraded when the mic covers get wet,

I am always amazed at how awesome everything sounds in my Rondos when they are in the waterwear covers.  The mic is completely protected from water yet still sounds amazing.  

Thanks for sharing.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have not had the problem with sweat or rain. I do use the Dry kit daily (nightly) though.  

Thanks for the reminder - I need to change my mic covers as its been a few months.