Soundbridge implant after stapendectomy?

Jude Townsend

Hi Everyone,

I have had 2 stapendectomies. Implants in both ears have failed and skull based surgeon has suggested Vibrant Soundbridge. Has anyone got good/bad news for me?

On 10/3/2017 at 2:06 PM, Jude Townsend said:

Hi Everyone,

I have had 2 stapendectomies. Implants in both ears have failed and skull based surgeon has suggested Vibrant Soundbridge. Has anyone got good/bad news for me?

Hi Jude,

Thanks for reaching out to the community.  There are a couple of chat threads with a few people who recently got a VIBRANT SOUNDBRIDGE, who you might like to reach out to and find out about their experiences. http://forum.hearpeers.com/index.php?/forum/16-vibrant-soundbridge/ 

Kind regards,

Leigh 

HearPeers Support Team

@Ivana Marinac 

Ivana also may be able to share some of her experience with the BONEBRIDGE hearing implant and SAMBA, and has a lot of knowledge to share about the technical side of hearing implants. :) 

• Like 1

Dear Jude.

I had many ops on my left ear. 3  attempts at eardrum rebuild and 4th one to install a PORP ( titanium bridge ) to replace missing middle ear bones. Unfortunately my stapes bone (where the PORP was attached) crumbled. SO.... finally I had sound bridge fitted. Because of the state of my middle ear the soundbridge 'connection' was made to the 'round window' rather than my crumbling stapes (the 'round window' allows the fluid in the choclear system to move when the stapes moves normally - it would otherwise 'compress' the fluid ) . I must say I am very happy with the result..

If your choclear is working fine then I  understand Bonebridge would also be an option for you. Soundbridge gives a more 'natural' hearing, I think, but there may be some conditions on getting it fitted - I think Bonebridge is probably more straight forward. Even with Soundbridge which (appart from the magnetic sensor) goes under the scalp there is some lasting modest difference in sleeping comfort with that side down on the pillow. I think Bonebridge would be the same. HoweverI would imagine that some of the alternative systems that rely upon clamping to some form of titanium screw/pillar could be quite hard to sleep with ??

My Soundbridge was fitted at London St.Thomas'  Hospital where they have a lot of experience and work quite closely with Medel. Highly recommended :-)

Best Wishes.

Jon

Hi @jahanna @kellylee! Jude is looking for some advice/feedback from others about their experiences with the VIBRANT SOUNDBRIDGE. I saw on other threads that you all also use the VIBRANT SOUNDBRIDGE. I hope it is okay to tag you - I thought you might be able to give Jude some support as she begins her journey.

Kind regards,

Leigh 

HearPeers Support Team

@Ivana Marinac 

Ivana also may be able to share some of her experience with the BONEBRIDGE hearing implant and SAMBA, and has a lot of knowledge to share about the technical side of hearing implants. :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Jude,

before trying to find the best possible ynswer for your case, I need few more data. At first, in what condition is your ossicular chain?

Do you have a conductive or a mixed hearing loss due to the involved cochlear component?

What is the reason of your unsuccesful stapedectomies?

Breakthrough of Soundbridge implant is in its versatility. It is suitable for all kind of HLes because it can be implanted on the ossicular chain (incus, various parts) or straight on the round window which is called the process of vibroplasty.

The difference between these implants is in the ease of implantation as well as more sound intensity thankfully to the placement of the FMT part.

The Bonebridge is declared up to 45dB, but it can achieve almost effortlessly the intensity up to 65-70dB. On the other side, the active part of a BB implant is placed in the bone behind the ear; a significant difference with Soundbridge acquired drill near the chorda tympani. If a temporal bone is thick enough, active part of BB is well enclosed within it so there is no problem of sleeping on the implanted side.

ok, this is just a fraction of possible direction of my answer. Looking forward to read more details...

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Link to Patricia talking about her SoundBridge experience