Aren't implants improving ?

stream2525

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been searching for any improvement in the cochlear implants in the previous yeas, but couldn't find anything. All advances are related to the processors.

Is the implant the same since many years? 

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s more difficult to find info on the implant tech itself but the Synchrony implant tech features offer things that the Concert implant doesn’t.  So if you compare the tech lists from internal implants, you can see that they are changing.  

The electrodes have been changing too.  The Med-El website has info on all of the electrode arrays if you are interested.

• HearPeers Heroes

Considering people thirty years ago carried a large back pack as their “processor” we now have a BTE or one piece unit on the head well I’d have to say is major progress. 15 years ago everything was analog. They then just started to bring out digital equipment. Hope this helps. You can look at Med Els history and see how Ingaborg Hochmeir the founder started her company and research. 

• HearPeers Heroes

MED-EL's current internal implants are SONATA, CONCERTO and SYNCHRONY. Read up on those and notice the differences.

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

Here is a link to the tech info on the Synchrony internal implant.  It offers features that are more advanced than previous internal implants.  Some of those features are designed for future things coming from Med-El, like triphasic pulses in Maestro 7.

http://s3.medel.com/pdf/SYNCHRONY Cochlear Implant - Factsheet.pdf

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks a lot to everyone . I wanted to know if there is any potential improvement in the inner parts in the near future.

It seems that improvement in the inner parts happens once every decade while there is so much improvement in the processor. 

• HearPeers Heroes

It seems to me that the internal implants have the ability to do things that have not yet been tapped with the external processors. I do not know how you would learn about future changes to the internal components ahead of time.  There are always changes, but they are not announced ahead of time.  I have two different internal models .  One Concert and one Synchrony.  Both work great.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, it is not everything in the tech part than in - our inner selves. At first, this is hard to understand and to comprehend and we haven't even tackled a bit of neuroplasticity and the ability of our brain to sort an electrical stimulus during the rehabilitative part.