Vibrant Sound-bridge and cochlear implant

stream2525

• HearPeers Heroes

I have sky slope hearing less and hearing aids aren't helping much. I am currently using RIC hearing aids with power receivers. I know that there are more powerful hearing aids ,but think I won't benefit much from these and have made my mind to look into middle ear implants to know if they can work for my loss.

Is there anyone who was approved for cochlear implant and got the vibrant soundbridge instead?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Stream,

Can you describe a little bit better your hearing loss curve or even show us your audiometric findings.

Why I am asking you that - a hearing loss which is deteriorating over years significantly profits better from the EAS system than the implantation of the Soundbridge.

Yes, it was developed for a sensorineural hearing loss but the loss of the inventor was stable. The majority of people who are losing their hearing lose it steadily but continually in the higher frequency spectrum. Putting an implant which is not adequate is technically possible but ethically and professionally questionable. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I keep losing hearing in the middle and high frequencies . This is why I started thinking of Cochlear Implant because my hearing is getting worse. I don't want to have a EAS because it is a mix between a cochlear implant and a hearing aid. I am leaning towards  Med El fir many reasons . My audigoram looks like this : 

0250.Hz L-040 R-040
0500.Hz L-050 R-050
1000.Hz L-090 R-085
2000.Hz L-095 R-095
3000.Hz L-110 R-120
4000.Hz L-105 R-120
6000.Hz L-n/r R-n/r
8000.Hz L-n/r R-n/r

• HearPeers Heroes

It is worth keeping an open mind about Sonnet EAS with scores like you have in your low frequencies.  Your surgical team will be able to guide you as they know your hearing history the best.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth is right - ask your ENT for further information about EAS system - basically, it is also a cochlear implant but for a partial insertion and keeping lower frequencies as far as it is possible. 

Unfortunately (although it sounds a bit less invasive) - Soundbridge is not a solution for the threshold of your hearing loss. Soundbridge is a solution for stable threshold and up to 75 or perhaps 80 dB. Please, be aware that I have stretched a lot these numbers and are not according to the producer.