Surgery tomorrow

miltonedale

Tomorrow I will receive my implant at the University Hospital in London Ontario. I have had hearing loss for 50 years and worn two hearing aids but gradually these are not as affective as they used to be. I am hoping that my new implant will help me to hear better when I have conversations with people or simply outside and to hear the birds singing.

Best of Luck to you Bud, conversations, Birds, crickets and so many other thing's will surprise you first then frustrate you and then because of all our old habit's of presuming what people are saying by Facial expressions, task at hand, attempt at lip reading and just to proud to admit I can't hear anymore and that is none of your business. I am 65 Milton and have had hearing aids since the age of 45 (Guns, building engines, motorcycle & Car drag racing etc.) and had my Med-EL implant done 2/16/16 plus still ware a hearing aid in my left ear. My point here is your mind is leaning a new type of learning how to hear and you need patience and trust this that was a great investment in yourself. OLD HABITS Bud are just as important to remember and try to NOT USE any longer.

Best of Luck and all the people here want to help you make the best of all things!

Pat

• HearPeers Heroes

Am I going to hear birds again if I have an implant??

What about whispering?  Will I be able to hear that ?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

I was not given any promises ahead of time on what I would or would not be able to hear.  It just doesn’t seem like there is a definite way to predict the end results ahead of time.  Everyone’s journey is unique and those who are bilateral know that our right side and Left side each take their own journeys too.

I hear birds.  Many many many birds.  Smile.  In fact, I love listening to a TedTalk on birds full of unusual birdcalls.

I understand whispering too.  Blows us away every time.

I hope you have similar results.  Aural rehab helped me a lot!  

Are you able to meet with adults with CIs near you?  It’s always so helpful to meet other CI users.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @miltonedale! Welcome to the group. I’m also from Ontario and have spoken with two others that have had their implants done in London. They both have had great success. It is not a quick fix however and needs tons of rehab to get it up to speed. Best of luck and feel free to message me anytime. Kara?

Well I am now home from my surgery today in London. Feeling good and the surgery went very well. So far no after affects except for the sore throat which is normal. I am looking forward to getting stitches out next week and then activation. Thank you everyone for the best wishes before my surgery. Nice to have it over and ready for the next stage of things to come.

• HearPeers Heroes

@miltonedale  Welcome to the club!  Rest easy.  We can’t wait to hear all about your activation and CI journey.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Looking forward to learning from your journey. Please update us.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 10/25/2017 at 11:17 PM, Mary Beth said:

@stream2525

I was not given any promises ahead of time on what I would or would not be able to hear.  It just doesn’t seem like there is a definite way to predict the end results ahead of time.  Everyone’s journey is unique and those who are bilateral know that our right side and Left side each take their own journeys too.

I hear birds.  Many many many birds.  Smile.  In fact, I love listening to a TedTalk on birds full of unusual birdcalls.

I understand whispering too.  Blows us away every time.

I hope you have similar results.  Aural rehab helped me a lot!  

Are you able to meet with adults with CIs near you?  It’s always so helpful to meet other CI users.

In all my life I only saw one person with CI who was a small kid. I talked to his father and he told me that the implant was done in Saudia Arabia which is a close country to mine. Unfortunately, we don't have a clinic that have CI surgeries. I will need to do it outside my country and still collecting information. 

I understood that while the implant device is the same . what makes the difference in results are the surgeon and the audio, so I am looking for a provide skilled surgeon in my region and a good audio. 

I am feeling good after surgery.  I have to wait until Monday Nov 6 to have tapes removed.  I have a little crusting on incision that I need to clean up first.