Jump to content

Home Theater and CI at home


Daniel the Stranger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

I'm at the final stage of my research in order to choose the brand for my CI. I'm torn between AB and Medel to be honest and I have my last appointment next week to make a decision. The idea is to have my surgery by the 20th December.

Does any of you have a home theater detup at home? I like to watch a lot of movies and tv series and I was wondering what the experience would be like in this scenario. I know that music has been discussed a lot with different opinions/situations but never about home theaters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

There is a lot of tech that can be used for home theaters if  you wish, regardless of CI brand.  One factor to consider is how the tech will impact the benefits of surround sound if you have surround sound speakers.  Most assistive tech diminishes surround sound benefits so many CI users prefer just to listen with their processors and no additional tech.  But there are many options for assistive tech that will connect to TVs etc if desired.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your quick reply. I forgot to say that currently I use my hearing aids without assistive tech to enjoy my movies and watch tv. I wish it would stay like that after CI implantation, of course, after proper rehab.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

I do great with my CIs without assistive tech and hope you do too.  If you commit to rehab, you will get the most out of your CI journey as you well know.

I remember how hard it was to select a brand.  It felt a bit crazy that I had to select a brand myself.  Smile.

I wish you the best on your journey.  My CIs have been life-changing for me.  Best decisions ever.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi Stranger. I don't use any assistance to watch TV. The different sets of home theater sound different from each other but all are good. I hope you will enjoy stereo effects in full despite of your CI choice.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently added the Roger Pen to my home theatre setup. All I can say is “wow”

The main audio is handled by the surround sound system. I plugged the Roger Pen base into the headphone jack of the tv so the spouse can set the volume of the avr to her liking and I can balance the volume of the Roger Pen via the TV. Sweet!

as an aside, I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-A2060. This has Bluetooth audio out which works well if you just want to listen via the implant, but I notice a delay between the audible audio so I find it distracting. The Roger Pen is much much better.

there are probably other systems as well...

Good luck with your decision. Luckily mine was pretty simple.

 

since the implant, I'm finding more and more being told to turn up the volume? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi I don’t use any assistive devices for tv or movies.  I’m unilateral with one implant. The sound is great. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth and @Kara of Canada You are inspiring me . I wish I can be like you after I have my CI . I don't want to use assistive devices . That is so much hassle. I only want to be able to hear during meetings and over land line phone. My basic reason for thinking of CI is to be able to work and make living for my family. We don't have disability insurance in my country and we don't even have insurance that covers the CI cost. For me to have a CI I need to travel to another country where they make these surgeries and will pay from my own pocket. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525 both Mary beth and I don’t use assistive devices for the phone. For land line I just hold it up to my ear and listen. Mary Beth uses Bluetooth neck loops at work for the phone. It does take some training however, but it was way worth it, my favourite thing to do is Lester to music again! I couldn’t do that before my implant for at least five years. So believe it was worth the hassle of surgery and rehab. Hope this helps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes
14 minutes ago, Kara of Canada said:

@stream2525 both Mary beth and I don’t use assistive devices for the phone. For land line I just hold it up to my ear and listen. Mary Beth uses Bluetooth neck loops at work for the phone. It does take some training however, but it was way worth it, my favourite thing to do is Lester to music again! I couldn’t do that before my implant for at least five years. So believe it was worth the hassle of surgery and rehab. Hope this helps. 

Thanks Kara.

Do you listen through ears like normal people do or through the processor ? I am trying to figure out how CI work . 

I was able to use phone but now talking on landline is a real pain and I avoid that so much. I use my mobile and hear almost 80 % ,so I can manage to understand because I increase the volume and if I don't understand something I can ask for repetition. I started losing my hearing when i was 27 . It was 15 years ago and it is becoming worse since then. Now I can't have a normal conversation with women and struggle to much with men and in meetings I am totally deaf . Hearing aids don't help much and ended up hating using them . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525 and @Kara of Canada

 

Actually I do not use any assistive devices for any phones, landlines, cell or at work.  I just stay on M and hold the phone up to the Rondo or Sonnet mic.

 

I wish it was easier for you to get a CI.  Will you also have to go out of country for your MAPping appointments?

 

You have a lot to consider.  Ask about warranty coverage.  My Rondo processors have never needed to have any part replaced. My Sonnets have needed service in addition to the mic covers which are to be replaced every 3 months per Med El.

 

Do you have a date to speak with your CI surgeon about your questions?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes
3 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@stream2525 and @Kara of Canada

 

Actually I do not use any assistive devices for any phones, landlines, cell or at work.  I just stay on M and hold the phone up to the Rondo or Sonnet mic.

 

I wish it was easier for you to get a CI.  Will you also have to go out of country for your MAPping appointments?

 

You have a lot to consider.  Ask about warranty coverage.  My Rondo processors have never needed to have any part replaced. My Sonnets have needed service in addition to the mic covers which are to be replaced every 3 months per Med El.

 

Do you have a date to speak with your CI surgeon about your questions?

So the processor is the one that receives the sounds , same as hearing aids ?

I read that Mapping is done every 3-6 months and I think I can make it every 6 months. I can consider it as going out for vacation. 

I am still undecided where to go for CI ,but initially thinking of India as they have good services and cheaper costs. I wrote to my insurance to check if they cover CI which is doubt they do ,but just make sure that they don't. Then I will see how my schedule in work will be and make my travel plans after arranging for appointment. 

At the moment, I am still gathering information on the major differences between Synchrony and EAS to decide on which I should go for. If I am to pick one processor , then I will go for the Rondo, which means that EAS won't be an option for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes
25 minutes ago, stream2525 said:So the processor is the one that receives the sounds , same as hearing aids ?

I read that Mapping is done every 3-6 months and I think I can make it every 6 months. I can consider it as going out for vacation. 

I am still undecided where to go for CI ,but initially thinking of India as they have good services and cheaper costs. I wrote to my insurance to check if they cover CI which is doubt they do ,but just make sure that they don't. Then I will see how my schedule in work will be and make my travel plans after arranging for appointment. 

At the moment, I am still gathering information on the major differences between Synchrony and EAS to decide on which I should go for. If I am to pick one processor , then I will go for the Rondo, which means that EAS won't be an option for me.

Yes the processor is the same as the HA part. So you hear with that. I have heard of the hybrid implant being the EAS. Which allows for people with residual hearing like you to continue to do so. I prefer the BTE being the Sonnet as it is the latest technology which has the newest upgrades. Rondo still runs on the old tech and has only one mic. Now with mapping’s I went every week for the first month. Then once a month for the next was every month till six months. Then every six. Now every year. That’s how we do it here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes
7 minutes ago, Kara of Canada said:

Yes the processor is the same as the HA part. So you hear with that. I have heard of the hybrid implant being the EAS. Which allows for people with residual hearing like you to continue to do so. I prefer the BTE being the Sonnet as it is the latest technology which has the newest upgrades. Rondo still runs on the old tech and has only one mic. Now with mapping’s I went every week for the first month. Then once a month for the next was every month till six months. Then every six. Now every year. That’s how we do it here. 

What exactly they do during mapping ? Is it a test or they also program the CI like when they do tweaking to HA ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

Since there are 12 electrodes they have to adjust each of them. Sometimes they do it individually or all together for overall sound equality. Yes it’s lie programming a HA but far more technical. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

After reaching a stable MAP, many people go back to their audiologist every 6 months.  This is usually for testing and small changes to the MAPs if needed.

At first, after activation there are more frequent appointments as our MAPs are being created and slowly brought up to reach our stable MAPs.  It is completely different than hearing aids.  Each CI center follows its own schedule for activation and subsequent MAPping appointments.

My center did it like this:

activation

1 week later

1 month later

1 month later

1 month later

3 months later

then every 6 months

Additional appointments could be scheduled if needed.

But this varies greatly from CI center to CI center.  Some centers may even offer remote MAPping appointments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

I didn't think that CI are also programmed like hearing aids. This means that I will also need to ensure the place I will get CI form has a good audiologist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

Programming or MAPping our CIs is both a science and an art.  Working with a skilled CI audiologist can make a huge difference. My journey would not have gone as well without the great skill and dedication of my awesome audiologist.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

it's a big deal to have access to a CI audiologist. I was a pia with my HA audio until it got fix to the way I liked it. It's gonna be the same with my CI Audi.  I could not wait 3 months or 6 months until I could get it fix. If I can get in for a 1 hour fix.. all the better.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HearPeers Heroes
20 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@stream2525

Programming or MAPping our CIs is both a science and an art.  Working with a skilled CI audiologist can make a huge difference. My journey would not have gone as well without the great skill and dedication of my awesome audiologist.

And this why I am searching on Med El site for the best hearing centers they deal with . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...