A website to assist with pitch rehab

JCN

Hello,

My name is Jason. I was implanted a three and a half years ago, with hearing loss due to a combination of Retrofenestral Otoseclerosis and Superior Canal Dehiscence. For most of my life I have been an active musician and software engineer. So I have been seeking some way to combine my experiences to create something of value to the community of CI recipients, specifically in the realm of rehabilitation of pitch perception.

I would like to share with you the results of that work today, a web application I call HealingHz.us.

HealingHz.us is a completely free web app designed to present simple pitch puzzles, sort of like a game. In addition to the puzzle/game aspect, the app also has a diagnostic feature called Test Plan, which I think audiologists could use to evaluate and measure pitch perception over time. This feature is accessible from the menu in the upper left corner.

I recently shared the link on another forum and received a lot of positive feedback. Several others have enjoyed using it, and feel it will help them. So I would like to further share with other online communities such as this one.

Thanks!

-Jason

Just now, Mary Beth said:

@JCN

Very cool.  What are the semitone differences?

Each puzzle is based on a musical chord or scale, so it depends on which puzzle is selected. Visiting the site will present random puzzles. If you use the Test Plan feature, you can select them yourself. The choices are between major/minor triads, major/minor7 chords, or chromatic scales. So in the case of chromatic scales, they are one semitone. These are typically the most difficult puzzles.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you @JCN

Jason, is it okay if we share a link to your web app with other CI groups?  

Which processor are you using?  I also had otosclerosis.

2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Thank you @JCN

Jason, is it okay if we share a link to your web app with other CI groups?  

Which processor are you using?  I also had otosclerosis.

Absolutely, please share with anyone and everyone you think might find it useful. CI recipients, or audiologists. I have an email under the contact tab on the site if anyone has any questions or feedback.

I am using the Advanced Bionics somethingorother. Q70 I think. It's almost 4 years old, almost time for an upgrade!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Jason!  I will share it.  Stick around here.  Our journeys are more similar than different no matter which CI brand.

• 3 months later...

Hi Jason,

How is the pitch process going?  Did you have perfect pitch prior to hearing loss?  I did. When I could no longer identify or match pitches I was devastated. Any suggestions would be overwhelmingly welcome!!!  I get activated next week. 

Thank you!

Marjorie