Why Med-El?

Amb

good afternoon everyone, I'm curious about people why they chose Med El while you also have cochlear, oticion medical, advanced bionic and Esteem Aclaim. What attracted you to choose Med El? and what do you expect from Med El in terms of technology in the future?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Amb said:

good afternoon everyone, I'm curious about people why they chose Med El while you also have cochlear, oticion medical, advanced bionic and Esteem Aclaim. What attracted you to choose Med El? and what do you expect from Med El in terms of technology in the future?

Why? Because I didn't have no choice, I lost my hearing because I wear hearing aids all my life,I was scared at first because they so us the video of the cochlear implant devices is made, why I choose because the surgeon said that it will help you get used hearing the sounds around u in noisy situations, when I was first set up the noises was difficult to understand and now that I can discovered different things and sounds, thank you so much Med EL. 

3 minutes ago, Serena Metzler said:

Why? Because I didn't have no choice, I lost my hearing because I wear hearing aids all my life,I was scared at first because they so us the video of the cochlear implant devices is made, why I choose because the surgeon said that it will help you get used hearing the sounds around u in noisy situations, when I was first set up the noises was difficult to understand and now that I can discovered different things and sounds, thank you so much Med EL. 

Ok, but when it was clear that you need CI, you are yourself researched CI from different companies or did the surgeon advise you to choose Med El?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Amb said:

Ok, but when it was clear that you need CI, you are yourself researched CI from different companies or did the surgeon advise you to choose Med El?

Yes,the surgeon said two options over the ears or on top of your head, if it was the surgeon, basically I needed C. I. (Cochlear implant) devices 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Amb

Welcome to HearPeers.  Tell us a bit about yourself if you wish.  Are you choosing a CI brand now?

At this time in the US there are 3 FDA approved brands:  Med-El , Advanced Bionics and Cochlear.

I chose Med-El for their selection of electrode arrays to best match my cochleas.  I shared my story in this captioned video of you are interested.

Wishing you the best.

• Like 1

I am in the US, and had the choice between Med-El, Cochlear, and Advanced Bionics. My clinic and surgeon are familiar with all three brands so it was up to me to pick. 

I started with eliminating questions of things that were important to me. Things like: the processor had to be MRI safe, and after a long time wearing hearing aids I was interested in off-ear options. The first didn’t eliminate any company as they were all MRI safe; the second eliminated Advanced Bionics. 

Next was looking thoroughly into the companies. I liked Med-El’s history and research. They have multiple different electrode lengths to fit any cochlea. By that point I was already heavily leaning towards Med-El.

What really cinched it was the support. I’d reached out to both companies for general information. Cochlear sent only a book with no follow-up. Med-El met with me via zoom last minute, followed up with me to make sure all questions were answered and no new ones came up, directed me to HearPeers, and more. That support has continued to this day. Even though I’m in the US I’m in a remote-ish area so having that support from the CI company was -and is- critical.

In terms of future tech expectations from Med-El it’s really only improved streaming. With the off ear processor Rondo 3 I can only stream with the AudioLink and it’s not a favorite device of mine. The on ear processor Sonnet 2 has way more capabilities for streaming via Bluetooth, my favorite and most used is AudioStream.

Where I am located the choice was between Cochlear and Med-El. I wanted to make a decision that I would be fine with long term, and the hospital had a slight preference for Med-El when it comes to the technology in the implanted device. While there are some shortcomings of the current generation of the processors: streaming problems, size (particularly with AudioStream that is required for the connectivity) and battery life, that can still change within a generation or two. Much sooner than the implant in my head.

For me it came down to how the array was implanted and its depth. Med-El is the only available to me manufacturer that used a round window insertion.  They were also the one with the longest arrays. I realize the other companies say it is just marketing hype but the concept of only using part of the nerve doesn't make sense to me. Med-El's approach to providing a noninvasive option that preserves existing structures and using as much of the cochlea as possible was the determining factor. I wanted a company takes those things into consideration whenever they have an advancement. 

I selected the Rondo 3 because I did not like the concept of having something dangle off my ear. The Rondo 3 does not have a built in Bluetooth option. There is a wireless Bluetooth option that uses an in-between device. I use it to stream from my computer but I do not use it for my phone. I'm happy to be able to use a phone like a normal person for the first time in a very long time. The newness of using a phone the conventional way may wear off but when it does the advancement in technology will likely allow for built in Bluetooth. I was more concerned with the internal component that I cannot change then I was the external device.