Holding Magnet in place ..

Julesrdh

Hi everyone!!

My daughter does ballet and I noticed sometimes she doesn’t do the complete steps bc her cochlear falls off.

I was wondering if there was a headband or something that holds the magnet in place? I have seen the one that holds the mic but not the battery. Wondering if anyone had any info. Thank you ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• HearPeers Heroes

I have used the Med el sports band. Works good with Sonnet too. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Lots of active kids and adults like a kind of mic lock tubing, which works great as long as the person has detached earlobes.

http://smartear.pl/product-eng-4948-SmartEar-silicon-holder-MIC-LOCK-type.html

For Sonnets, usually the DL-coil (magnet) stays in place just fine as long as the Sonnet processor doesn’t fall off of a child’s ear.  You can use any kind of headband that is comfortable to help hold the DL-coil in place.  There are no mics on the DL-coil, so it can be completely covered by any headband without any problem.

My Sonnet DL-coils stay in place when I am active.  If this continues to be a problem, you may want to ask your daughter’s audiologist to check the magnet strength setting,  DL-coils have 9 magnet strength options.

Some parents of young girls actually secure the DL-coil and help hold it securely in place by the way they pull back or braid their girls’ hair.  The DL-coil is so thin that it is easily slid under hair and then a ponytail or braid allows hair to stay securely in place above it, thus holding it in place.

I hope this helps.

• HearPeers Heroes

This headbands seem wide enough to secure both the processor and the DL-coil (magnet).  Under GALLERY you can see a young boy kayaking using one of these.

http://smartear.pl/eng_m_SHOP_FOR-PROCESSORS_BANDS_SPORT-BANDS-767.html

Hi Julesrdh

Thanks for your question! As Mary Beth mentioned, if you daughter need a bit more security with her coil, you should speak to her audiologist. They will be able to try a few different magnet strengths, and see which is right for your daughter.

In addition to headbands and the other tips mentioned above, you could also try using GripWear. This is a "sticky" patch which is applied to the bottom of the coil, and helps it stay in place on your daughter's head. GripWear is available from your local MED-EL representative, let me know if you need their details and I can send them through!

Kind regards,

Leigh

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! I am going to look into all these options :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Let us know when you find something that works for your daughter!

• 7 months later...

I found at sports store, Models, a wrap around headband that ties in back. It worked perfect!!! Nike makes it. IMG_6724.thumb.PNG.1cf47a90b97179cebe598

I found at sports store, Models, a wrap around headband that ties in back. It worked perfect!!! Nike makes it. IMG_6724.thumb.PNG.1cf47a90b97179cebe598

I found at sports store, Models, a wrap around headband that ties in back. It worked perfect!!! Nike makes it. IMG_6724.thumb.PNG.317d374b99b7bd41977b0

I found at sports store, Models, a wrap around headband that ties in back. It worked perfect!!! Nike makes it. IMG_6724.thumb.PNG.317d374b99b7bd41977b0

Found at sports store, Models, a headband. It ties in back so easy to adjust. It was made by Nike. It worked perfect. b4f7a9af22ba87f29dcc8a92fd346419.png

Found at sports store, Models, a headband. It ties in back so easy to adjust. It was made by Nike. It worked perfect. b4f7a9af22ba87f29dcc8a92fd346419.png

Found at sports store, Models, a headband. It ties in back so easy to adjust. It was made by Nike. It worked perfect. I tried to download pic but having a problem

Found at sports store, Models, a headband. It ties in back so easy to adjust. It was made by Nike. It worked perfect. I tried to download pic but having a problem

Lol.. I guess it did go through .. one to many times .. Hahaha!!
She wears Sonnet.
Thanks for complimenting the sneakers .. she loves pink! :)

She wears Sonnet.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Julesrdh said:

She wears Sonnet.

When I was in high school, on the basketball team, we all got green sneakers for our school color.  It was the mid-70s and the most popular shoes then were Adidas running shoes, so most of us had those.  Turns out there's a reason why basketball shoes look different:  lateral strength.  One girl planted her foot to pass the ball and her foot went right through the side of her running shoe.

Possibly there are better manufacturing methods for shoes now!  I'm glad you found a headband that works.  I have just been using a folded scarf since I'm mostly getting my exercise on a treadmill on my three-season porch.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Julesrdh said:

She wears Sonnet.

When I was in high school, on the basketball team, we all got green sneakers for our school color.  It was the mid-70s and the most popular shoes then were Adidas running shoes, so most of us had those.  Turns out there's a reason why basketball shoes look different:  lateral strength.  One girl planted her foot to pass the ball and her foot went right through the side of her running shoe.

Possibly there are better manufacturing methods for shoes now!  I'm glad you found a headband that works.  I have just been using a folded scarf since I'm mostly getting my exercise on a treadmill on my three-season porch.

• Like 2