How long did you have to wait for your CI surgery and activation?

Liz3

It took 10 months for diagnosis, failed treatments and insurance approval for my CI.  Now I have to wait 5 more months for my CI surgery.  I don’t have an activation date yet.  Is this common for people in the US with PPO insurance?  How long did you have to wait for your CI surgery and then activation?

My first surgery I waited about 4 months total. Second surgery was around 5-6 months total. Same surgery center too (not a hospital).

In the US it’s highly dependent on whoever is in charge of OR scheduling at whatever facility one is going to, plus what the location already has scheduled or waitlisted, so answers will be all over the map. 

• HearPeers Heroes

For my first surgery I was scheduled very fast due to a cancellation- 2 weeks.  My second surgery took 2 months to set up.

• Members

@Liz3 Instead of 10 months, it took me 7 years for insurance to approve it.  I was first recommended it back in 2015/16.  Insurance rejected and I settled for a bone conduction device.  That didn't work well for me since I only had one good cochlea. 

Last year gave it another go.  Insurance finally approved around September - surgery & activation in January.

Thank you all for the responses.  It helps to know that you were all able to move on with your lives.  @TimI’m glad that your insurance finally gave you what you needed, sorry it took 7 years.