Question about returning to work after CI surgery

Liz3

Hallo, ich war 3 Tage im Krankenhaus und insgesamt 14 Tage im Krankenstand. Nach ca. 10 Tage bekam ich die Nähte raus. Einen Tag nach den Nähten durfte ich erstmal die Haare waschen. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Liz3

I took one week off of work.  Being able to wash your hair depends on your surgeon’s directions.

My CI surgeries were very easy to recover from.  Tylenol for a couple of days, followed orders about lifting etc.  I hope you are as fortunate.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Liz3

If you wish to meet Med-El CI users and ask questions etc, think about joining in our Sept HearPeer GoogleMeet with free automatic captions.  Follow this link for more info and if interested, just reply there 

My surgeon let me wash my hair the day after surgery and had instructions about putting Polysporin on the incision before and after showering for a certain number of days. My incision was directly behind the ear and not in the hairline. I don't know if that made a difference.

For returning to work. I took 1 1/2 days off work after the surgery and then I was back at it. My work is mostly office work and I was exhausted at the end of the day. If I had a more active job or if I needed to stand all day there is no way I could do that. It took several weeks before I could bend down, lift overhead or carry anything of much weighed without paying for it. My suggestion is to ask your surgeon post operation so that they can give you advice based on your operation.

You didn't ask about pain medication but mine was just OTC acetaminophen and Advil - the doses suggested on the script were enough to relieve almost all of the pain. I lowered my dosage based on pain over the next few weeks but it tapered fairly quickly. I did not experience vertigo or much pain. They also gave me antibiotics and a steroid.

Thank you for all of the detailed information.  My audiologist had told me that I would only need to be off for 2 days so that’s what I’ve been telling everyone at work for months.

I’m glad that you didn’t experience vertigo or much pain.  

Hallo @Michidanke fur die Antwort.  Das Teilen Ihrer Erfahrungen und Informationen ist fur mich sehr hilfreich.  Ich hoffe, dass meine Aussage korrekt ist und ich Google Translate verwendet habe