A future without tinnitus?

Kylie

• HearPeers Heroes

Watched this interesting TED talk about tinnitus research in Perth!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

That would be nice.  I mean, I'm used to tinnitus and I can live with it, but I'd far rather not have to.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

That was a great video and gives me hope.  That was one of my many questions to ask if getting a CI would eleviate tinnitus.  MIne is always there and has gotten much worse over the last year.  I just think of it as music but sometimes it gets invasive and makes me dizzy.  A cure would be amazing and I  am glad people are working on it.

• Members

@Rob Gellner  My tinnitus was 24x7 and getting worse before the CI.  Don't really notice it while wearing the CI. 

Of course YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) but I'm very happy about that.

In fact, the research suggesting that a CI often helped alleviate tinnitus was a part of the research that I used in my unsuccessful appeal 7 years ago before CI for SSD was FDA approved.  As I recall, the research at the time showed that it was significantly improved or gone in most most patients but there were one or two for whom it got worse.  

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

My tinnitus also improved when I wear the processor. That is a very common and welcome side effect!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

My tinnitus is only noticeable now when I remove my processors at night and even then it is much much quieter than before.  I hope you are as fortunate.

• Like 1