Tens machine effect on implant or mapping

Mohsin

Hi,

Have read difference of opinions on using a TENS machine. TENS machine that I am using is off the shelf type used to relieve my back pain. Since it works on the principle of muscle electrical stimulation using pads placed on the skin, my feeling was this may affect the internal CI array or mapping. This machine may also be in the similar category of acupuncture needles that work in conjunction with electrical stimulation. Should all external muscle or nerve stimulation machines connected to your body be avoided or is there a criteria, example proximity to the CI?

For concerns like this it’s always best to contact Med-El directly and get the thumbs up/down directly from them. 

Not sure what TENS unit you have but the one I have got a thumbs up from Med-El. I just can’t put the pads on my head, not that I would have done so prior to getting CIs. This would be the proximity criteria you mentioned. Again, just make sure to reach out to Med-El and they’ll let you know right away what is ok and what isn’t. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe it is fine as long as below the neck. Proximity does make a difference. So anywhere on your back is fine.

@Mohsin I asked the MedEl rep about a variety of devices including Telsa coils, tens, faraday cages and Van de Graaff generators. They forwarded those to one of their engineers who asked me a followup question and has not had a chance to reply. Until (if) I get a response from them I'm avoiding zappy things because the electrode array directly stimulates a nerve and I don't want to have a backfed current damage it. If you have a specific machine that might make it easier for them to respond to your question. Have you provided your MedEl rep with the specifications of the machine and what part of the body it is used on? The literature I've seen on most tens machines has a blurb that says something like "do not use if you have a pacemaker or other electrical or metal implant."