Kanso cochlear implant processor

osho

Hi,

So I have sensorineural hearing loss; profound loss of high frequencies and near normal low frequencies. I know I am a candidate for hybrid implants, however I would like something more discreet such as the Kansos where no over the ear processor is needed.

Does anyone know if residual hearing can preserved with the Kanso implant or if they can now use the hybrid coil? Or any other implants that may be applicable to me?

Thank you so much!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @osho

Welcome to the group! We are a Med El forum so we have the Rondo and Rondo2 which are off the ear processors. I recommend talking to your surgeon about the internal processor and hearing preservation. I know they always try to preserve the hearing you have left but there is always a chance you could lose some. I have the Synchrony implant with Sonnet and Rondo. I lost a little bit of additional hearing with the CI surgery. I have no problems with the little bit extra I lost as I gained it all back and then some with the CI ? 

Ask all the questions you need to! Best wishes!

• Like 2

Hi @Megan L.

Thanks for your response, sorry I didn't realise it was Med El. I heard the Rondo is similar. How much of your hearing did you have before the implant and how much did you lose?

I am petrified at the though of an implant and at the same time would really like to have a discreet one.

• HearPeers Heroes

I love my Rondos.  But my hearing loss did not qualify for a EAS or hybrid even before surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s all good @osho! We accept everybody on here - we just can’t help with different brand processor related issues. The Rondo is great. I currently use it as backup. I have a severe/profound loss in both ears. I have 0% discrimination in left and 1% in right. Not the case anymore with my left CI. I lost just a tad more hearing after surgery, it’s negligible really. 

I was really scared too to get an implant but it changed my life for the better! I have no regrets and it’s the best gift I gave myself ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@osho

I think the reason all EAS or hybrid processors are behind the ear designs is because an earmold has to attach to it so that the hearing aid component can work.  The one piece processors can not have earmold attached.  I read a study though from Vanderbilt several years ago which had people use the one piece Rondo processor AND an in the ear discreet hearing aid on the same side.  If both the HA and the Rondo are set for only their specific frequencies, that make work similarly to an EAS or hybrid processor but it requires wearing both on the same side.  The Sonnet EAS is a behind the ear processor and handles both the acoustical (HA) and electrical (CI) signals.

I was nervous too when I got my first CI.  It worked so wonderfully that I was not nervous at all for my second CI.  Smile.

Hi @Mary Beth

Thanks for your response :) I am a bit confused regarding the hybrid to be honest :/ Why do you need acoustical and electrical stimulation if the low frequencies are in the normal range?

• HearPeers Heroes

@osho

That is a good question.  There is no guarantee that your low frequency hearing will remain the same after receiving a cochlear implant.  There are varied results for people with that. Some people retain low frequency hearing and it stays the same over time, Some people retain residual hearing but it decreases over time.  Some people experience a drop in low frequency hearing right away.  Some people lose all residual hearing right away.  Lots of varied results.  The electrode array, surgical technique and surgeon skill are all important factors.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am a candidate for EAS , but when I will have CI I will request Flex28 Eletrode and not Flex24 or Flex 20. I will ask for EAS components and use them until I feel I can't benefit from EAs then I will remove the molds. This is my plan and I hope it is a realistic one. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

If you receive a Sonnet EAS and get to the point where you can no longer benefit from the acoustic (HA) input in the low frequencies, your audiologist will change the program settings to cover the low frequencies with your electric (CI) component and change your earhook from an EAS (open hook) to a CI (closed hook).  It would require a return to an audiologist to have the Sonnet MAP changed.  Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Kanso is much smaller than Rondo. I wonder why Med-El doesn't come out with a new version of Rondo to compete with Kanso.