How did musical instruments reveal themselves to you?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Anne Cormack‘s post made me think that it would be cool to read about how music revealed itself to each of us with our CIs.

I hope you join in.

Tell us anything you want.  Smile.  

Did instruments reveal themselves in a certain order?  

When did lyrics emerge?  

Do you enjoy music with your CI?

Do you play any instruments or sing with your CI?

How often do you listen to music now?  How do you enjoy listening to music best?

• HearPeers Heroes

Instruments revealed themselves first with drums, then bells/cymbals/triangles, then more and more.

Lyrics became much better at about the 3-4 month point with my first CI and sooner with my second CI.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE music with my CIs!

I returned to playing the piano after decades of being unable to do so.  I sing in the car alone .....smile.....it’s better for everyone that way. Smile.  (But to be fair....I couldn’t sing even when I had full hearing!)

I listen to music every single day.  In the car, streaming from my iPad, playing the piano, live concerts, Broadway musicals......music every way it comes.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I will tag a few and maybe you will too.

@Karen T

@Sherri - Are you still jamming with your BOSE?

@Kara of Canada

@Cara Mia

@Joan -Which settings did you settle on for your walks with your Artone?  MT or T or one of each?

@Megan L. - Do you use your Roger 21 for music listening or listen a different way?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Mary Beth

Great idea since majority of us love music ? 

Let’s see.... I  heard music 2 hours after activation but not lyrics. It was just music but there should have been lyrics too, it was odd to say the least. Lyrics showed up the next day, I almost cried! I was so happy! Music sounds the best it has in years. BIG SMILE. I play the flute for fun and it’s a work in progress hearing the pitch and not going sharp or flat. I feel it’s one of the harder instruments to play with a CI for some reason. I love it though and won’t give it up! I listen to music everyday on my way to work. My commute is an hour and 10 mins so I’m glad I got the Fender Sound System in my car ? it’s wonderful with my CI! 

I haven’t used the Quattro or the Roger 21 to listen to music lately. I mostly listen to music in my car since I usually get home around 7:10pm and have misc. things to do when I get home. On the weekend I listen on my cell phone or on the Bose sound system- which is awesome. Nice full and deep sound. I do love the Quattro and the Roger 21 for music especially when I have time to spare. I would recommend the Roger 21 to anyone because it has a nice full sound and it’s semi wireless (connects to your phone or computer or iPad or whatever you use for music). 

One day I would love to go to a symphony to hear it with my CI! I bet it’s incredible! Has anyone gone to a symphony with their CI? 

• 3 years later...
On 11/19/2017 at 10:44 AM, Megan L. said:

Hi @Mary Beth

I  heard music 2 hours after activation but not lyrics. It was just music but there should have been lyrics too, it was odd to say the least. Lyrics showed up the next day, I almost cried! I was so happy! 

Seriously?

So jealous right now, but thrilled that this was your experience.

I have a huge library of “reference tracks” used when setting up concert sound systems Etc. ( Pro Audio was my profession )

I know these tracks backwards and in many cases can hear them without needing to play them. They are that embedded into my memory.

Almost 4 weeks post switch on and nothing resembles music yet. It’s all just distorted noise.

I listen to the simplest ( singular instrument ) tracks almost daily as an exercise trying to teach my self to hear again.

looking forward to that day.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

I started out hearing only static and beeps.  Everyone’s journey is unique.  Believe me though when I say that how we begin is not any indication of how we will hear with our CIs over time.  I hear great but my activations started off with no speech.  And music was a mess at first and now music is amazing.  

This link describes my music journey

https://blog.medel.com/3-steps-to-rediscovering-music-with-a-cochlear-implant/

This link to a captioned video describes my CI journey- starting with static and beeps.

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

As MB stated, everyone’s journey is unique 🦻It sounds like you have a great selection of music to choose from for practice! My second CI (activated 1/11) also heard music with cartoon voices. I used Maroon 5’s Sugar as my starting song since I know it so well and have heard it so many different ways (with 2 HAs, left CI only, left CI & right HA, Right CI only, and bilateral CIs). My brain has been “flickering” between hearing voices normally and cartoonish with the new ear. 

I hope music finds its way back to you soon. Keep practicing and challenging your new ear. You’re doing great! Hang in there 😊 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Since I've had my ci I've appreciated so much more John Lennon's playing of his mouth organ, especially in Please please me and Love me do. Bet you'll all go and play them now. 😂

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think my perception of individual musical instruments happened fairly earlier after my first implant. As voices became voice, violins, flutes, trumpets, pianos, etc., were fairly distinguishable, although multiple musical voices and sounds, especially of unfamiliar music, are more difficult.

Having had years of musical performance (choral singing) and instrumental (amateur) playing, I've been listening to music I know well, and I've participated in some musical rehab studies with USC. What surprises me is the disparity between people who say, music won't ever sound the same, and a few who claim that their musical perception is clear, even "like a CD." For me, I've gone from not being able to distinguish pitch contours (ascending, flat, descending) to increased contour perception, and from singing off-key, surprisingly, recently to actually finishing a Sinatra sing-along, first verse, a half tone sharp, second verse, actually on pitch. 

(That's me on the far right, just before my hearing loss went from mild to moderate, in a production of Pirates of Penzance.)

I'm interested in hearing others' journey towards musical aural rehab.pirates161.jpg.72e252fdabdc2ac9d4730a78f035197f.jpg