A different type of listening question

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I listened to a TedTalk given by Celeste Headlee on the Art of Conversation last week.  It was fabulous.  I think Celeste Headlee presented this in 2016.  That led me to listen to several podcast interviews with Celeste Headlee and then download her new audiobook, We Need To Talk.

Today I finished listening to We Need To Talk and it has me wondering something.  Have you noticed that you changed your communication/conversation habits after receiving your implant and hearing better?  I relied on many conversational strategies that were needed because I had to speechread for years.  Then after being able to hear so much better with a CI, I realized those strategies were no longer needed.

I am wondering if you also found that your conversational strategies changed after hearing better with your CI? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I think maybe a little bit now that you mention it!

I feel more confident in what I hear - I don’t wonder if I heard them correctly, I know I heard them correctly the first time. So less repeating words/sentences. Also, I don’t need to read lips like I used too but sometimes I do resort back to it in noise or if the person is hard to understand. I think I talk more too ? haha. Just a little more open to conversations than I was before (not shy or anything, it was just exhausting before). Plus, I don’t need to see people’s faces as much which is a super big change in my conversational style! It’s a nice change. Smile ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes. I have noticed that I hear better and I don’t look for people to repeat to me. I often have family members waiting to see if I need them to repeat. It’s taking some getting used to for them. I don’t lip read quite as much but I use it in noisy situations. Or with people who have string accents. I’m still stuck with carryons but I do try not to read them if I’m understanding what is being said. I love that I can check what was said if I’m unsure. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kara of Canada

Cool!  And it will be interesting to check back on this after you have been bilateral for a year.  Smile.

More changes coming your way soon!