SonnetSafe: a compact pocket case for your Sonnet 1 and 2 (and possibly Opus 2)!

John Schulz

Hello everyone! I designed and 3D printed a case today that's designed to be as compact as possible while being easy to use.

IMG_20231020_2343492082.jpg?ex=6545c03a&is=65334b3a&hm=13015bed62909df07cbbebc3d39237145c4b4999255d68a6b12f5abf687c3187&

It is designed to fit comfortably in pants/shorts pockets and should accommodate the Max battery size (need to confirm that still however). I can confirm that it is compatible with both the standard and tall coils. I made it because I bike a lot. Consequently, I need to put one of my CIs into a pocket which leads to the coil cable getting damaged easily.

I would describe the case as water resistant but I'm hoping I can get the tolerances right to make it waterproof for five minutes or something of that nature.

Please let me know if you are interested in this and if there's any changes you want! Thanks!

• Members

Looks great.  I'm interested in it.  Not sure if I'm going to use it long term but it seems very interesting.   

For me it would be helpful if it:

• Was smaller than my black MedEl carrying case.  (Perhaps angled edges so it isn't too "sharp" in my bag.
  • Fit 2 of the standard size batteries (stacked on top of each other?)
  • Could fit a Rondo 3.  I will often carry my Rondo 3 as a backup while wearing my Sonnet 2 and a spare battery.
  • Fit a small desiccant packet (could serve as a dryer chamber in a pinch

Might be better if the battery compartment was rounded or angled so that it doesn't have a sharp corner for wear and tear on the Sonnet or cord.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim said:

Looks great.  I'm interested in it.  Not sure if I'm going to use it long term but it seems very interesting.   

For me it would be helpful if it:

• Was smaller than my black MedEl carrying case.  (Perhaps angled edges so it isn't too "sharp" in my bag.
  • Fit 2 of the standard size batteries (stacked on top of each other?)
  • Could fit a Rondo 3.  I will often carry my Rondo 3 as a backup while wearing my Sonnet 2 and a spare battery.
  • Fit a small desiccant packet (could serve as a dryer chamber in a pinch

Might be better if the battery compartment was rounded or angled so that it doesn't have a sharp corner for wear and tear on the Sonnet or cord.

I think I can make the top three work! I'll CAD it up later or tomorrow. Does rice count as a descendant 😆? What kind were you thinking of?

• Members

For the desiccant, I was thinking of the small balls in packets like what comes in certain shipped items.  (Disposable or rechargeable.)  I wouldn't do rice to keep the dust down. For example, this seems to be about the smallest size Amazon sells, 0.25 grams.

Desiccant packs seem like a good idea to use occasionally with the Rondo 3 since it can't go in the bigger dryer for the Sonnets due to the integrated battery in the Rondo. I see some discussion of that in Hearpeers and will need to read more.