Cintipgh

Dave in Pittsburgh

I like to get  other people feed back on batteries.

Rechargeable or the throw a ways

Thanks

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

Sonnet processors?

I had been using the standard rechargeable batteries with my Sonnets.  They start off lasting 10.5 hours for me but rather quickly drop.  They are now lasting under 9 hours which means they die before my work day is over.  It’s a fast swap to  change to another set of standard rechargeable batteries and I had been doing that regularly.

Recently I switched to using disposable batteries in my Sonnets.  Power One Implant batteries last a bit over 2 full listening days for me so to make it easier I just swap out batteries every other morning.  This way they can sit for a few minutes after removing the stickers so they are fully charged up.

Life can be unpredictable at times and there is a safety net of sorts knowing that I have several days of battery life on me just by carrying a dial of batteries.  I also have batteries stashed in our cars, backpacks, etc.

Which are you using? Disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?

Hi Mary Beth,

Thanks so muuch for your reply. I have been useing the rechargeable batteries but I switch to the disposable batteries only because they came with my supplies but like you I am finding them a bit more convenient as switch every two days instead of every 8-10 hrs with the rechargeable and I am lazy(ha ha)

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Dave,

It is very convenient to just switch batteries every two days and never run out of battery power.  Smile.  

Yes you got that right and in March I. Will get my second implant makeing me bilateral This is another reason I was playing around with the batteries 

• HearPeers Heroes

March will be exciting for you!  Bilateral is amazing indeed!  I wish you the best.

Thanks

Yes I am really looking forward to it another life journey 

• Like 3

Hey that’s great I am going on March 22, whe is yours, are you getting theRoger Pen and the Roger Reciver as I am and I can’t wait I not real excited about Quattro but that’s me I have heard so much about the Roger how good it is I have done research on the Roger and Phonak is supposed to be sending more info on the system 

Dave

• HearPeers Heroes

I don’t have a definite date yet. I go see the surgeon in January 31. I’ll find out then. I don’t know what will be in my kit yet either. Other than I know I’ll be getting a DL-coil and rechargable batteries. Etc. 

Well this is a start let’s keep in touch as we journey down a new path in our life  The thoughts of listening to the words and sentences again .UGH but if it means better hearing great. I had my left ear implanted last year Oct 2016 I could tell my right ear hearing was going so when I saw the audiologist and hearing test confirmed it,I had no hesitation in doing this

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow let’s keep in touch! I have needed both ears done since they did the first one. But sadly in Canada they don’t give adults two unless you pay out of pocket or get into a study. I was fortunate to get into a study so they will cover the cost. So I’m in a study for bilateral implants I believe to test the benefits of it. I don’t know all the details till my appointment but I didn’t hesitate either. I want to hear in two ears again! I heard a song on the radio last night and was able to sing along for the first time in many years! I’m quite excited for this new journey. 

Here in the states ip or maybe in Pittsburgh Pa it’s seems tp be up to the hospital followed by the insurance and the surgeon in my case I was borderline for the bilateral but the surgeon and audiologist kinda want to wait and see him was fine with me as I still had hearing in the right ear none on the left I never recover any hearing in the left ear, like you I didn’t hesitate to go bilateral no questions ask music was a big part of my life Jazz is my selection I listen to iHeartRadio on the iPad often

So I guess this makes you a ? Maple Leaf Fas as I am a penguin ? fan

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol! I not much of an NHL fan. I do like to follow women’s hockey and the Olympic team! So I’m really a team Canada fan!! 

WOW I can’t believe this I too lean towards the women league the girls really play their heart out I never did like NHL in the winter Olympic

Cintipgh and Kara of Canada,

both of you mentioned going bilateral, do either of currently wear a hearing aid in that ear?  If so, how do you do with the hearing aid?  I am implanted in my left ear and my right ear is my ‘good’ ear in which I wear a phonak naida, I have been thinking and praying on whether or not to go bilateral. 

Hello Percy,

I was implanted in Oct 2016 in my left ear I had ok hearing in my right ear not bad enough for implant however as time wore on it progressively got worse to the point I am now getting the implant.

Yes I do wear the Phonak hearing aid in the right ear but the results are not there.

I forgot to add there no question or hesitation about going bilateral if you qualify JUST DO IT

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy

How are you doing being bimodal?  That is probably the biggest factor in whether or not to go bilateral.  Some people do great being bimodal.  Others find the CI side becomes so dominant that the HA side is of little or no help.

Bimodal is not working I didn’t fiind the CI being a dominant side the right ear(hearing aid) I had decent hearing into about 9-10 months ago but I do think subconsciously the CI side was takeing over if that makes any sense?That could very well lead the brain to except the CI as dominant side being it was hearing better thean the HA side once again if this makes any sense 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Cintipgh (DAVE)

Perfect sense!  I explained my experience being bimodal like this....

My CI and HA were like dancing partners.  At first my HA was the leader and the CI was happy to follow along.  Then as my CI side got stronger, they both wanted to lead and I felt that competition in my brain.  As my CI continued to progress, it became the leader and my HA followed along.  At about 5 months, my HA was like my own private noise maker.  I actually functioned better without it.

I do ok with the hearing aid, but the CI does appear to be the dominant one. At times I too feel like the hearing aid takes away from what I hear with the CI. It is still good to have the hearing aid because I like having the stereo hearing. I can’t imagine what it would be like to have the good CI hearing on both sides. Also, do any of you find that the hearing aid adds ‘color’ to sound kind of like a color vs b&w tv?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Percy,

Well said. Here is what MED-EL musicologist says.

“…Hearing with only one ear is like living in a black and white world, without knowing that somewhere else colors exist.”

https://blog.medel.com/a-singer-with-single-sided-deafness-losing-music/