Music vs Speech

Jdashiell

• HearPeers Heroes

I have always felt the Music is easier to hear and understand than speech. Speech is complex, each word is made of vowels and consonants. The vowels are loud but different consonants are soft or even softer. Add that to multiple words in a sentence and then add that to a person who does not project their voice. Or enunciate, or has a different dialog. It gets worse with background noise.
Music on the other hand is not as complex as speech. Sure there are different instruments or vocals. But it is much easier to listen too.
So stop talking and listen to the music!

IMHO

• HearPeers Heroes

True. But I think music is very complex. Much more so for someone who doesn’t use a musicial instrument. It can be so complex that it can be uncomprehendable for some. It took me a while to get music to where it sounded normal or understandable. Plus much training. Speech was there for me on day one. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually, we still do not know now what is needed to understand (and hear it properly) a music. 

Here is a very nice link from the Nature journal: https://www.nature.com/articles/srep32026

Music is definitely more complex but if we would work on our ability of hearing (and understanding) music just as a fraction of the time we spend to learn to listen again (and speak) - results promise much better solution otherwise we have expected...

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Dr. Charles Limb in California is passionate about improving CIs for better music appreciation.  He is presently studying Med-El CI users to determine if using image guided Pitch MAPping will improve music appreciation.  I have heard from two people who have participated in that study, which is on-going.  I have not participated in this study but have participated in the image guided CI programming at Vanderbilt which uses images to determine if two electrodes are actually stimulating the same area and thus causing a smearing of pitches/sounds.

I found the Vanderbilt image guided study fascinating and love my image guided MAPs.

Using images of the actual placement in our cochleas of the electrodes, seems quite promising.

I look forward to reading the study results from Dr. Limb’s Med-El study on use of images to program pitches.

You can find Dr Limb on TedTalk, YouTube and various research article sites.  

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
On 12/15/2017 at 5:22 PM, Ivana Marinac said:

Actually, we still do not know now what is needed to understand (and hear it properly) a music. 

Here is a very nice link from the Nature journal: https://www.nature.com/articles/srep32026

Music is definitely more complex but if we would work on our ability of hearing (and understanding) music just as a fraction of the time we spend to learn to listen again (and speak) - results promise much better solution otherwise we have expected...

An interesting article. I must be different. I was late into the hearing loss world, being post lingual. I grew up in a hearing world, hearing speech and music well. As a teen, music became much more important to me - and I admit much louder than it should have been. 

I became an amateur musician with buddies and later in college. but got away from it. Life got in the way - career, wife, kids, etc.

I lost my hearing as a adult and it faded away to the point I now am bilaterally implanted. Speech is a real challenge most times and telephone conversations are very rough. But music? such a joy. And I decided to get back to playing music again. I always listened to music but never appreciated it as much as I do now.

I guess I am lucky, sort of.

• HearPeers Heroes

Quite interesting... You are most certainly one of a unique individual who does not have the problem with music comparing it with speech... :blink:

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

I am glad music is so enjoyable for you again.  I’m sorry that speech and the telephone remain challenging.  Hopefully with your upcoming reimplantation, maybe that will change.

Do you use InnoCaption for free captioned phone calls on mobile devices?  It captions only the incoming voice and you speak for yourself.  It works well as it uses live captionists.

BOSE QC35 BT noise cancelling headphones work awesome for phone calls.  Incredible sound quality.

I trained with Telephone With Confidence and still do when I get new MAPs.  It helped me.

Best speech apps for me have been AB CLIX and iAngel Sound.  Most fun speech training has been TedTalk captioned videos and audiobooks.

I wonder how this will all change for you after your surgery?  I can not recall if you have a Roger Pen, a Quattro4 neckloop or an Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.

The Artone Mic synced to the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop provides great access to speech at a very reasonable price.  It is a tiny mic that can be clipped on the other person or set on a table.  Maybe that would be helpful?

I continue to wish you the best Joe.  I hope you get a surgery date soon.

• 4 weeks later...
An interesting article. I must be different. I was late into the hearing loss world, being post lingual. I grew up in a hearing world, hearing speech and music well. As a teen, music became much more important to me - and I admit much louder than it should have been. 
I became an amateur musician with buddies and later in college. but got away from it. Life got in the way - career, wife, kids, etc.
I lost my hearing as a adult and it faded away to the point I now am bilaterally implanted. Speech is a real challenge most times and telephone conversations are very rough. But music? such a joy. And I decided to get back to playing music again. I always listened to music but never appreciated it as much as I do now.
I guess I am lucky, sort of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter will be implanted a year on March 31... Wow that went fast! The first thing she heard was the birds chirpping..and MUSIC!! She loves her CI bc she can hear music so much better. Speech is more difficult and slow in coming with therapy. I was wondering if she would ever hear speech well .. I am still hoping with lots of therapy.

My daughter will be implanted a year on March 31... Wow that went fast! The first thing she heard was the birds chirpping..and MUSIC!! She loves her CI bc she can hear music so much better. Speech is more difficult and slow in coming with therapy. I was wondering if she would ever hear speech well .. I am still hoping with lots of therapy.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Julesrdh

That did go by quickly!  I hope speech will improve for your daughter with aural rehab and MAPpings.  Keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

What do you mean by music, the instruments or lyrics?