CI here I come

Rob Gellner

Had my candidacy appointment today at Sunnybrook and I qualify for a CI. Has my balance test done which I was worried about but basically the technician just moved my head quickly while filming my eye movement. So I passed that test. Met with the Surgeon who right out of the gate said he would use Med El and I would need a cat scan so he could determine the properly array to use. I expected I would have to plead my case why I wanted med el. Surgeon said he went to a conference where other surgeons had had the implant surgery and5 of the 6 chose med el so that was a pretty sweet endorsement.  He also said I could get an anatomy based fitting if I wanted to and I would need a second CT scan after to do that it to tell the audiologist I wanted to go the ABF route. What really blew my mind was it won’t cost me a penny as Provincial government pays for the whole thing. I was very happy about that as I thought I would have to at least pay for 25 percent of it. Also I’m getting a private cat scan done and surgery could be either January or feb once I get the CT scan to his office they will book it asap. I ended up choosing a sonnet 2 with two max batteries and one shorter battery to use with the audio stream attachment. I’m excited to get this going. Thanks all for being so supportive. Rob

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rob Gellner awesome!!! Sounds like everything is falling into place nicely!!!  Looking forward to following your journey!  Thanks for posting your update!

• Like 1

• Members

Great news!  Glad to hear that you don't need to lobby for Otoplan and ABF.  

Not a big deal but I like the 2 standard + 1 max battery option.  The standard batteries don't get me through a full day but the Max pretty much does.  The result is that, I always carry the second standard when I wear my audiostream to work and don't feel a need for a back up Max battery.

Welcome in advance to the CI club!

• Like 1