Connecting to sound system at an event that does not have telecoil installed

Addi

Does anyone know of a way to connect to a sounds system, like at a church or an assembly? I have the audiolink and the artone neckloop. Is there something that I could plug directly into the sound system at the event? The place does not have telecoil capabilities.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Addi

Typically it is not easy to actually plug into a sound system at an event unless you contact them ahead of time and they are open to working with you.

Some work arounds are 

1) asking to place a transmitter on the podium if they will be speaking from a podium 

2) asking to place a transmitter about a foot or so away from one of their speakers

Then using a receiver that works with that transmitter and your hearing devices.

For me, AudioLink’s range is way too small for these kinds of set ups.

I don't mind asking them. THey are willing to work with me. I am willing to buy something that makes it work. I just don't know what it is that I need. Any  suggestions? 

• HearPeers Heroes

How large of an area is this?  Is the sound system in a different room?  Does it have a headphone jack that can be accessed without altering the main speakers?  What size is the headphone jack?

I will tag @John R as he is skilled in this area professionally.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Addi

a few more thoughts to consider while you explore your options.

Most newer remote mic set ups do best with “line of sight” between the transmitter (remote mic) and the receiver.  This is why finding out the location of the sound system with the audio out jack is important.

While inside, line of sight can be expanded by signals bouncing off walls.  The robustness of these signals though really varies depending on the transmitter.

Old types of FM systems did not have “line of sight” issues because instead of using a proprietary 2.4 sub network to transmit audio, they actually used a dedicated FM channel.  This is why students could still hear teachers when they left the room wearing the transmitter.  These type of systems send the audio through the walls.  They also have MUCH larger ranges (instead of the advertised 30 ft range from newer systems).

It is still possible to buy these older FM systems used, online.  The biggest concern would be when was the transmitter last charged?  Does its rechargeable battery still work?