Electrodes Pulling Out

Dizzy

Hello,

I was implanted on 11/2/23 and was just informed that 3 of my electrodes have pulled out. My doctor said that this is not common and that my hearing is progressing really, really well as is. 

my biggest issue has been with imbalance, not necessarily vertigo. Basically, when my head moves, the whole world moves with it.

we aren’t sure if it is the electrodes that have pulled out that are causing this or if it is something else. The instability occurs with or without my processor turned on.

I’m pretty bummed because the reason I chose Med-el was for deeper coverage, and to go back and fix it involves many risks and a new deductible.

has anyone ever experienced this? If so, any advise? Thank you.

I haven’t had any electrodes come out. I did have the magnet part under my skin slide down on the left side when I was bimodal June 2021. I got the OK to have it repositioned when I got my right side implanted November 2022 and it ended up being explanted and a totally new implant put in on the left side. Wasn’t fun, was one of my least favorite surgeries among my growing list, but I like where and how both implants are now. The electrodes in my left cochlea ended up better placed somehow so that was good too. 

Dizziness… yeah. My first surgery I was dizzy maybe two weeks and it resolved quickly once healed. Second one not so much. Couldn’t walk for 2 weeks and had the same as you’re describing. I went to vestibular therapy for ~6 months due to the severity of it, before I plateaued out of PT. Now it’s manageable but I do have occasional bad spells where everything will either spin or seem to go sideways suddenly. 

@Dizzy by pulling out did you mean the end of the array (and electrodes) have migrated out of the cochlea from their intended insertion depth so that three of the electrodes now sit outside of the cochlea? I was under the impression that migration was typically related to ossification and that the round window insertion typically used by Med-El helped minimize that.  Did the surgeon say what they think caused the change?

That is correct, they migrated out. He does not know what caused it and very perplexed. He said he does not use clips, because he felt he never needed to. Also, he is new to the post CT scan that showed the migrated leads, so maybe this could happen more than previously thought?

My audiologist is extremely happy with my progression though and has told me I am way ahead of the curve for two weeks being activated, so it doesn’t seem to be impacting my hearing. I kind of wish he didn’t tell me. Now I will always wonder if my hearing could be a little better if all the electrodes were inserted.

we still can’t figure out this oscillation/vertigo though. It has been 6 weeks and it is 24/7. Vestibular therapy is not working so far. I feel like just telling him to remove the CI altogether if I could guarantee the vertigo/oscillation would go away.

Dear @Dizzy, we're happy to read that you have made great progress with your CI and hearing performance. If you experience any issues with your hearing performance or have questions, we would recommend getting in touch with your local MED-EL team. They are best placed to assist you and can have a direct look into your case with your hearing care team. 

You can find their contact details here: https://www.medel.com/clinic-finder/

Kind regards,
Alicia