Got my surgery date

Rob Gellner

I lost my hearing SSHL Sept 25,23. My surgery is Jan 25,24 so 4 months to the day. I’m excited and very happy that in four months I went to feeling hopeless to feeling very hopeful.  I’m so happy that this is 100 percent covered as I feared it would cost tens of thousands of dollars. So lucky to live in Canada. I only have to pay for my processor after the 5 year warranty is up and I think ADP pays 75 percent then for an updated processor. Feeling grateful. I have a pre assessment meeting sometime yet to be determined.  I asked what electrode length I’ll get but waiting on that info. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations @Rob Gellner!

And our processors last longer than 5 years so no need to upgrade at the 5 year mark if things are going well.  I have been using my processors for over 8 years so far.  

• Members

@Rob Gellner Great news.  Your surgery will be about a year to the day after my activation.  As a fellow single sided deaf person, very happy to help. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Best of luck! You are lucky the process has been so quick too. I was deaf for 1 year before I was able to get a surgery date. But fortunately like you also fully covered by Australian public health, so very grateful for that. 

Best of luck @Rob Gellner - enjoy the holiday season, get lots of rest before the surgery. Look forward to read about your journey!

From my hearing assessment to the actual surgery: 3 months (I'm still dumbfounded!). From what I'm told, timing was perfect as it was gearing to the end of the year and funding was there to allow the bilateral implant. A big part of the approval was that I had been successfully wearing BOTH my hearing aid and implant since my first implant (18 yrs ago).

• Like 2