3 year old with UHL - how long until understanding sound from CI? additional AVT?

Hi everyone,

Thanks all for the fantastic contributions to the forum. 

I have a three old who received a CI 6 months ago on the right ear (left ear has no loss). Has done some AVT since but not very frequently since audiologist thought we got the mapping "right" and therapist thinks she is progressing well. She always wears her CI (rondo 3) and I saw a big improvement in sound localization and ability to withstand noisy surroundings. 

When I stream sound into her CI, she can understand most words and recognize sounds. However, she cannot follow a story and more easily "checks-out" when listening through her CI only, and there is some variability in how well she can recognize words. 

I would very much appreciate the thoughts of any other caregivers or users on whether this appeasr to be normal in terms of the time it takes to get used to CI, or if we should consider doing more therapy. I try to do listening exercises with her most days, and stream music into her CI, but certainly could make myself do more.

Thanks in advance for any tips/thoughts, much appreciated.

Manuel