Samba 2 — BCI 602 activated on monday. Some questions

Bagrat

Hello all,

I received my Samba 2 this monday. The audiologist started tuning and adjusting the Samba 2 he had ordered for me. When he was done he wanted to test the magnet strength which was on a 3 and it was too weak so he opted to change it but unfortunately there was a problem with that device´s magnet holder or battery holder (I don't remember which) so he went away and got me a new Samba 2 and just gave me a new QR code for the Remote App and told me to come back in a month.

But shouldn't he also have to program the new device sort of? Or can all the settings just automatically get into a new Samba 2 with a QR code? Could he have "uploaded" the settings from the broken Samba 2 to a new QR code or somehow into a new device? I am at a loss... He is a good audiologist but he might have gotten stressed when the first device wasn't working?

I feel the device is not doing what it should be able to do. I am not getting what I had hoped for here and feel it is almost the same as a BAHA on headband and this should be much better and stronger. I have SSD with no working cochlear nerve on one side so no sound coming in there. Anyway, I am hoping for more than this.

When I max the volume on the app I get a feeling that something is working here but the sound is very metallic and it is hard to discern words and speech. I am on line to go back sooner but I want to get some information first on how this works with the Symfit 8. Some settings seem to go straight to the device and some go through the app to the device — like the programs etc.

Anyway, I am still hopeful that I will get something better out of this and that there is a lot depending on the settings and adjustments which seems to be case when reading here on these forums.

Any inputs/suggestions will be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 12:54 PM, Bagrat said:

Hello all,

I received my Samba 2 this monday. The audiologist started tuning and adjusting the Samba 2 he had ordered for me. When he was done he wanted to test the magnet strength which was on a 3 and it was too weak so he opted to change it but unfortunately there was a problem with that device´s magnet holder or battery holder (I don't remember which) so he went away and got me a new Samba 2 and just gave me a new QR code for the Remote App and told me to come back in a month.

But shouldn't he also have to program the new device sort of? Or can all the settings just automatically get into a new Samba 2 with a QR code? Could he have "uploaded" the settings from the broken Samba 2 to a new QR code or somehow into a new device? I am at a loss... He is a good audiologist but he might have gotten stressed when the first device wasn't working?

I feel the device is not doing what it should be able to do. I am not getting what I had hoped for here and feel it is almost the same as a BAHA on headband and this should be much better and stronger. I have SSD with no working cochlear nerve on one side so no sound coming in there. Anyway, I am hoping for more than this.

When I max the volume on the app I get a feeling that something is working here but the sound is very metallic and it is hard to discern words and speech. I am on line to go back sooner but I want to get some information first on how this works with the Symfit 8. Some settings seem to go straight to the device and some go through the app to the device — like the programs etc.

Anyway, I am still hopeful that I will get something better out of this and that there is a lot depending on the settings and adjustments which seems to be case when reading here on these forums.

Any inputs/suggestions will be much appreciated.

The little tabs that hold the magnet in are kinda delicate, if he wasn't careful he could've easily busted them.

It should be pretty natural sounding tho. I have mild deafness on one side and severe on the other, and the only time I ever think, "This sounds like a hearing aid" is when it's very windy. 

I bet your audiologist didn't reprogram it. It has to be literally plugged into a computer to program it, the settings don't transfer via the app. The app just turns it up and down and changed the specific program (if you have any, I got Noisy Environment and Reverberant Room added to mine, but you don't have to, the universal algorithm works plenty well enough).

I just got my Samba 2 replaced a couple months ago (the original got toddler'd) and the audiologist did the programming in person and asked me for feedback. 

Also I'd be careful with the higher magnet strength...don't wanna get irritation. 

Hi Travis,

I was back again last week. No reprogramming on the device this time neither. He claimed that he could transfer the programming he made on the first device over to this one? 
The sound is not natural, it is mechanic and weird. I can hear the sounds but I have a hard time making out words with my good ear covered.

He programmed the first device by having me do sort of an audio test where there were beeps and I'd say 'yes' if I heard them. This was never done with the second device. So these settings can not be transfered? If not then I don't know what he is up to... I have been there 3 times in two weeks and it just doesn't feel like I am getting what I could out of this. 

Prior to settling for a BB I tried a lot of different BAHA / Headbands, CROS etc and this is not that much better but it should be. 

Hard for me to say because I did the programming for my first one in a different state, I got my 2nd one after I moved, so I couldn't tell you if it transfers. In both cases they did a bunch of beeps and then a bunch of questions. 

Sorry it's not working well for you...I wonder if that particular until might be bad? Have you dropped it or anything?

Hi,

No I have not dropped it, taking good care of my device and always wearing a safety clip. 

I am going back in about 2 weeks and I am going to see what they can do. Thing is, I assume best settings are done simultaneously or between various audiotests such as word recognition with our without background noise. I'll ask them to do more extended tests like that. And also, I need them to check the programming. I want to be sure this device is correctly configured to start with. 

The various programs I have now (6 in total) vary greatly and that is a good start I guess. 

I'll keep you posted. 

Good luck! I didn't use a safety clip for my first one but now I do after my toddler knocked the first one off my head several times 😅. I use the Universal program 99% of the time, the algorithm does a pretty good job adjusting on it's own so I don't worry about changing the program all the time. 

I only recently got any extra programs after 2 years of wearing it, and I only use them in especially noisy places (bars or restaurants) or really loud environments (like a concert). 

• 1 month later...

Back again.

After some more visits to the audiologist he finally agreed to go over the whole process with the device. We wiped out all the programs and all the settings and simply did everything from the start and lo and behold it is working much better than before. 

I had a gut feeling the device was capable to give me better sound quality than it was doing (and I had tried BAHA on headband so I knew this was supposed to be better) and I am finally happy with it. I am going back in a month to do some more adjustments if needed but I feel we have pinned it down.

I also asked a local representative from MED-EL to join one of our meetings and she did and that was truly helpful as well. 

So if anyone is unhappy with their device I suggest you go to the lengths and see how it can be adjusted, chances are it can and it is anyway worth pursuing it with your audiologist and if needed a MED-EL representative.

• Members

Nice to see the bone conduction technologies get increased traffic and success here!  I tried a different bone conduction device for 6 years but since my loss was sensorineural it was rather pointless and never really worked well for me.  Effectively it turned out to just be a holding pattern for eventual approval of CI for SSD.

Wish the bone conduction worked for me.

I'm looking forward to following people's successful stories!

6 hours ago, Bagrat said:

Back again.

After some more visits to the audiologist he finally agreed to go over the whole process with the device. We wiped out all the programs and all the settings and simply did everything from the start and lo and behold it is working much better than before. 

I had a gut feeling the device was capable to give me better sound quality than it was doing (and I had tried BAHA on headband so I knew this was supposed to be better) and I am finally happy with it. I am going back in a month to do some more adjustments if needed but I feel we have pinned it down.

I also asked a local representative from MED-EL to join one of our meetings and she did and that was truly helpful as well. 

So if anyone is unhappy with their device I suggest you go to the lengths and see how it can be adjusted, chances are it can and it is anyway worth pursuing it with your audiologist and if needed a MED-EL representative.

Glad to see you got it working well for you man!

6 hours ago, Bagrat said:

Back again.

Great to read mate - yeah sometimes it takes a bit of persistence.
I was like that with the Osia and it certainly helped, but only to a certain extent.
Sometimes you just know and gotta advocate for it.