charging failures

Nora G

Over the past 2 months my Rondo has failed to charge overnight more than 4 times. The red & orange lights come on initially and stay on while I change, brush teeth, etc, but come morning, no lights are on and the battery warning sounds after a couple of hours. 

I called MedEL and they are sending me a new charging pad. They indicated that mine is a unique problem, but just from browsing this site, I see that others have had issues with the wireless charging pad. I was told that unless they had additional feedback regarding the wireless charging pad, no improvements will be made. 

So, if you also experience inconsistent charging, please ask them to include your experiences in their review process.

Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nora G

quite a few Rondo 3 users have reported the same issue.

@Tim was involved in a solution.  I will let him explain.

• Members

@Nora G  Sorry to hear about your charging problem.  I had similar failed charges on my Rondo 3 about 2 or 3 times a week.  Started charging but would stop because of slightly shifting on the charging pad. 

The problem is that the charging location is very sensitive to placement and the Rondo 3 sits at only a small point, off-center, it is very easy to get shifted.  People talk about kids running in their house, active pets or micro earth tremors for our Alaskan friend ( @Lauren ). 

To fix it, I designed a handy/dandy little cradle to sit on top of charging pad to put the Rondo 3 in the right spot to start and keep it there.  I call it a Rondeo (Rondo + Rodeo Corral = Rondeo).

We have a downloadable version that you can 3D print yourself.  Also, @John Schulz, a talented technology student with a pair of CIs himself can print and ship one to anyone that needs one.  (I granted him exclusive commercial rights as a way of supporting a deserving college student!)

Free downloadable version of the Rondeo (requires access to a 3D printer)

John's ebay listing for the Rondeo.

It has worked great for me.  Haven't had a failed charge in the many months since using it. I also like that there is no fumbling around getting situated just right.

Some of the features of the Rondeo that I like:

• Fits with or without the the clothes clip attached.
  • Gives a visual cue as to orientation.
  • Sits on top of the charging cradle - feet don't touch the table surface to avoid scratching
  • A small oval recess enables it to sit flat on the cradle.

Again, I don't make any commission or anything off of the Rondeo. (John and I have given copies to our audiologists and my MedEl rep to show off and help other Rondo 3 users.)

As an interim or alternative, you can do what @Roy suggested - a strong rubber band to hold it in place.  I did this until we made the Rondeo. 

Lastly, it was taking a while for me and my colleagues to get the final design tweaked before uploading it to Printables so another HearPeers member drew inspiration from the Rondeo to make an alternative design and posted it as well.

• Members

@Nora G Welcome to Hearpeers!  Looks like your first post was unfortunately about charging problems. At least that seems like a common and easy fix.  Hope my previous post helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Here are pictures of the Rondeo.

image.thumb.png.46e0d664fcc7851ebb5918981ba9211e.png

We've got a very supportive and encouraging community here.  We all have a different journey - some are late deafened, some from birth, some on both sides, some on only one side.  Some have had CIs for over ten years, some only a few weeks.  If you feel comfortable, you may want to introduce yourself so people can have more context in helping out.  https://forum.hearpeers.com/forum/10-introduce-yourself/ 

Good luck on your hearing journey. 

I forget how long I’ve been using the Rondeo and that’s about the highest praise I can get. It means I don’t have to think about my Rondo 3s charging at all. Just set them down and I know they’ll charge to 100% every time. 

Two days in a row now, I did wake up to one of my Rondo 3s appearing to still be charging. Had me worried for the few seconds it took to check the battery percentage in AudioKey2. Rondeo had gotten it to 100% though, so I’ll have to keep an eye on the charging pad and/or the processor itself to make sure everything is OK  

As far as the Rondeo’s ability to hold processors in place for earthquakes, so far (for my area at least) it’s good up to M5.0. Not exactly wanting to go though another big one but at the same time curious how the Rondeo would do. :) 

• Members

@Lauren Wow.  Never thought of it getting an earthquake rating!  We are also seismically active in Portland but not as much as you are.  Hope we neither of us ever get a chance to test it above a magnitude 5.0.