meningitis

Amb

Good day everyone, today I went to the ENT doctor. Many questions and answers were asked by me and the doctor. My left ear became deaf when I was two years old. Now I am 41 years old. According to the doctor, nothing can be done about the left ear because meningitis causes the cochlea to stiffen. this means that an implant is not possible. Are there people here who have also had meningitis and still received an implant after decades?

Hello Amb,

as far as I know, meningitis CAN cause the cochlea to stiffen and then it CAN be difficult or impossible to insert a cochlea implant. But this is not a must. Has it been checked via MRI and/or CT imaging? If not I would recommend to do so or to get a second opinion from another ENT doctor.

Is an implant possible at your right ear?

Have you heard of Dr. Veronika Wolter? She suffered from meningitis when she was 9 years old. From then, she was  severely deaf. She got cochlea implants approx. 2 decades later. Now she is 42 years old and the first deaf ENT chief physician worldwide. She ist working at a clinic in Munich, Germany, and she is doing a lot of CI surgeries. I am currently reading her biography.

@AmbI had spinal meningitis when I was 10 years old, I wore a hearing aid in my right ear only since a hearing aid would not benefit my left ear. When I was in my thirties I started looking into implants and they wanted to implant my good (right) ear but I didn’t want to give up my hearing aid just yet. I told them I didn’t have anything to lose in my left ear. The concern was that my left cochlear would be ossified. We prayed and God answered with no ossification in my left ear (confirmed with an MRI). After surgery it took me 6 months to a year before my brain started making decent sense of sound in my left ear and then my left ear became my better ear to the point that I got my right ear implanted as well.  I don’t have perfect hearing but I thank God for what I do have. 
I hope and pray that this works out for you. 

God bless,

-Percy