Bilateral Streaming with Sonnet 2 and iPhone 14

Bill C

Bimodal streaming with Sonnet 2 ("S2") and HA (or the difficulty thereof) has driven me to seriously consider another implant for my currently non-implanted ear. That brings me to these questions:

1. Does each S2 need it's own AudioStream and an ASHA compliant (android) mobile device to provide streaming and phone call capability to both implants? 

2. Or, do the Medel S2's act like a single BT paired device, allowing the NON-ASHA iPhone to be used for all hearing activities? 

Bimodal streaming setups with Medel instruments are a real pain. 

Thanks in advance for your responses. 

BillC

Correction: "Bimodal streaming setups with Medel instruments are a real pain. " should read, in all fairness:

Bimodal streaming setups with Medel instruments can be a problem without the good guidance from Medel's 1 on 1 service.. 

My personal frustration shouldn't be an issue here. 

BillC

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bill C

streaming to two Sonnet processors is easy with AudioStreams configured as bilateral L & R.  Each uses its own AudioStream cover but they come in the kits.  And with the upcoming new BTLE Audio and AuraCast, streaming to various devices from all phones should become much much easier for everyone.

Formerly Bimodal.  Can see my history about it.  Definitely not advisable to be Bimodal with MedEl if you have an Apple device (iPad or iPhone) to be honest.  I ended up getting a cheapo (less than $50) Samsung phone via a friend to take advantage of ASHA and dual-BT and then a Samsung tablet.  That route worked quite well and was sometimes amazing.  It could be tricky to set up initially but was worth it.  Had many communication with Apple and various devs and they simply had no intentions or a push to allow a Bimodal situation.  And I also had zero luck with the 2 (or 3) Artone neckloops between battery life, connection or just the bad static that comes from Telecoil connections.

It was one of many reasons I wasn’t as hesitant going Bilateral vs the 5+ years it took me to decide to even get my first implant.  it’s more streamlined than a Bimodal situation and connects to Apple products just fine and acts as one although you can certainly control each individually in the Accessibility menu.  Apple doesn’t use ASHA protocol but instead their own MFi deal.  Sonnet 2s AudioStream work fine overall with a couple hiccups.  If in the US, all Sonnet 2s nowadays come with AudioStream covers in the backpack of stuff when activated.

The current drawback is not being able to connect to macOS Sonoma as Apple has left out CIs and a lot of HA users (due to lack of Bidirectional streaming…/boggle) which annoys me to no end to this day after their bait and switch on the whole thing but that’s another story.

Soon, Rondo 3s will have its own AudioStream adapter and able to connect like the Sonnets AudioStream but that hasn’t been approved in the US yet so it is a short distance away this year and unsure about overseas.

Thanks to both John F and Mary Beth for the excellent explanations of the present situation and an exciting future for the bilateral CI crowd. 

BillC

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bill C

When the new BTLE Audio and AuraCast are readily available in hearing aids and CI processors and in use at public venues, in TVs etc.  this will be great also for bimodal users.  It will benefit all of us.

single sided deaf with 1 CI and 1 typical hearing ear

bimodal users with 1 CI and 1 HA

bilateral CI users with 2 CIs

typical hearing people

AND all brands of HAs and CIs will have the same streaming access.

This new BTLE Audio and AuraCast is going to level the playing field on streaming in my opinion.

Bill,

it is a pain and you can overcome it. While it may sound cumbersome it may be enough to do the job. I use sonnet 2 audio stream with tuner on MT. My Artone max5 necklace connects to it. My hearing aid does not have telecoil, so I use a Widex Assist necklace that has telecoil. The widex connects to my hearing aid and Artone. I am wearing two necklaces. Some will say they get a knocking sound but if you space the necklace heads apart the reception is great. This is what I do for zoom calls. The other good alternative is to get Bluetooth headphone that cover your sonnet and hearing aid.