Sonnet 2 Batteries Question

Joel

I get the sound alert on my Sonnet 2, that my batteries (dischargeable) are low, yet when I test them on a battery tester, they rate as 'good.'  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,

Joel

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joel

That happened to me often when I used ZeniPower implant batteries with my Sonnet processors.  When I switched back to PowerOne Implant batteries, everything worked fine.

Oddly enough, quite a few other Sonnet users reported the same issue when using ZeniPower Implant batteries.

Thanks, but I wouldn't think so ... especially if both batteries tested 'good.' I'll see if it happens with the two new batteries I just put in.

Thanks,

Joel

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joel

Also check the rubber seal at the connection of the battery cover and Sonnet control unit.  One time mine tore and it caused problems staying powered up.  A loose battery sleeve can do the same.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joel

Before  it actually tore it was loose and started causing intermittent problems with staying powered on.  Here is a link to a pic and post about it.

Power One Implant batteries have been very reliable for me.  I peel the sticker, wait and allow the battery to fill up with air so it is fully activated and all works great.  Once in a very rare while I notice residue on the battery when I peel off the label.  I remove that residue before using.

That rubber seal has caused problems for me a couple of times.  After replacing it, all has been fine and I ordered back ups in case it happens again.

The actual Sonnet battery cover causes issues for me.  They loosen up over time and require being replaced.  Otherwise the disposable batteries do not connect correctly.  They are under warranty for a time so check with your customer service rep about replacing them under warranty if needed.

• 2 months later...

Thank for this discussion.  I don’t have a battery tester but I think this is relevant.  I use Power 1  disposable batteries.  I have gotten the discharged signal.  It is VERY insistent, and I assumed the batteries were dead. I was driving so I just opened the battery case and set the sonnet on the dashboard.  On a whim,  a few minutes later,  I closed the case and the sonnet worked fine.  For over an hour!  I repeated this process several times on those “dead” batteries obtaining some four hours of “extra” life from the battery.   Based on your message I will buy a battery tester and repeat your experiments.

I think disposing of batteries that still have life is inconvenient, wasteful and bad for the environment.

I use the power one disposables (given directly from Audi office) and also frequently have issues with ‘dud’ batteries.  At one point, one side couldn’t use disposables because they’d immediately begin beeping no matter what.  Have had the battery frame replaced a few times, as well as the cover and while not as frequent, it still happens more often than it should.  

I believe it’s the battery frame not allowing for a proper full contact since the same batteries on the other processor works fine, so I have started kind of pressing the case after it’s on to try to make sure the battery is making contact.  Does it work?  Not always but have managed to go through few “dud” batteries I think however may just be more mental than anything.  YMMV!