dead cochlea

Amb

A question for everyone: what if your cochlea is 'dead' because you have had meningitis since you were little. Is there something or is research currently being done that makes it possible to somehow hear with a 'dead' cochlea?

• HearPeers Heroes

From what I have read in studies about meningitis is that the surgeons like to implant quickly before the cochlea becomes too ossified.  However, I have a friend who became deaf from meningitis and received a CI years later and it works great.  So I guess there are exceptions.  Have you consulted with a large reputable CI center to see if that ear is able to be implanted?

5 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

From what I have read in studies about meningitis is that the surgeons like to implant quickly before the cochlea becomes too ossified.  However, I have a friend who became deaf from meningitis and received a CI years later and it works great.  So I guess there are exceptions.  Have you consulted with a large reputable CI center to see if that ear is able to be implanted?

I did MRI scan, reports are yet to come. But i have to accept the reality. If your left ear has been deaf for almost 40 years, i think there is little chance they can implant it.

i even had conversation with an ENT. He told me even if we gonna implant it on your left ear, u will hear very little and wont understand much, it is of no use.

• HearPeers Heroes

I wouldn't give up until you have more information. People have received implants after decades of deafness, and still found success. So gather all the info about your situation, and get a second opinion if necessary.

• Like 2