1 week update

Rob Gellner

I had my 1 week follow up. We changed my ABF to the standard fitting and what a difference it made. Prior everything sounded like a slowed down recording and everything was lower pitched. I forget if it was the FS4 logarithmic something like that but after he read a bunch of words and I understood them I got every month he said right and he was spouting off numbers I was to repeat and I got them all.  We even had a conversation about music to see how I did and I understood everything this was all with his mouth covered.  I was giddy that it worked so much better than the AB fitting. I just assumed the ABF would be the cats meow. I guess the most important thing is to hear speech.  Even driving to pick up groceries was listening to the radio and could folllw along with about 80 percent of the words where as with the ABF I would not have done do well right off the bat.  I was activated a week ago so was shocked I can hear so well so quickly. Music is another story at this point. Notes still kind of all sound the same.  I’ll be focusing on my music rehab playing piano and Chapman stick and doing meludia ( which is a lot of fun for me ). I suck and notes going up in octaves if they are the same note or different. Unless they are lower notes.  I’m not discouraged or anything at this point. I’m finding it fascinating how the brain can adapt.  I’m very lucky so far things seem to have fallen in place since I lost my hearing 6 months ago. Just thought I’d share. Now off to play some music and do sone ear training. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rob Gellner

this is terrific!  So glad you like the standard frequency settings.  Enjoy your journey!

• HearPeers Heroes

Woohoo!!!

Excellent @Rob Gellner!! So glad that you are having such great progress so soon after activation 😃