Who has used Meludia

Rob Gellner

I’m loving meludia.  As a musician this is an awesome app and lots of fun. It’s definitely challenging with my CI and things seem to be progressing slowly but surely.  I think with my CI I might eventually hear music better ( sone things at least like lower notes below middle c sound great still foggy like not crystal clear but after two weeks I’m not complaining )  I just wanted to know how many other people have used it and their thoughts on it. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I have used it quite a bit and like various features although by the time I was introduced to it I was already well on my way with music and my CIs.

• Like 1

I use it and find it beneficial. There are a few areas I struggle with a few are due to my lack of music knowledge. Here are some of the CI related items I have.

• The way my electrodes stimulate I run into problems with sounds being one octave up/down vs slightly off.
  • I get a partial response from electrode 11 (12 is off completely). When sounds are in the higher end of what that electrode serves I get a flat response.
  • Sometimes I get overload from complex sounds and it takes longer to recover than I have before the next set of sounds come in. I think this is just because I'm only ~8 months into having a CI. Somewhat related I tried listening to a bar band this weekend for the first time since I've had a CI. It was difficult to understand most of the vocals for the same reason. 

I absolutely love the app and found it really brought back the fun in music!

I have run into similar issues as Anthony mentions. After recently taking up piano lessons, I discovered another problem that happens during prolonged pitch ( sections like “Density” or “Pitch Identification Gymnastics" in Meludia) : both of my CI's dampen the sound, thinking that it's transient noise so I get a "dip" in volume. While I had noticed this issue using Meludia, I didn't fully understand it until I started playing on my electronic keyboard.

I have an appointment scheduled in a couple of weeks and my audi will set one of my program to remove the adaptive intelligence & transient noise. So for now, I'm staying off Meludia as I find it interferes while trying to decipher the more complex sounds.

So far Anthony I’m having a similar issue on that sone mid range pitches are out. But I’m starting to hear a change. My electrode 12 is also turned off. It’s just outside my cochlea so it’s not usable. I manage 609 degrees of insertion so I’m loving the low end of things.  Listened to The Planets a symphonic piece with my CI tonight to see how things were. Again mid range stuff sounds odd and can’t tell pitch like trumpets but French horns are g above middle c and I can hear them and low  brass pretty well so far. So of the complex chords I am struggling with identifying with CI only but when I cheat and use my HA side the two work together so I can hear it. I’m so happy. I think at this rate I will be able to carry on with my masters of music if things keep going the way they are. 

Natalie I’m finding things compressing and it’s annoying musically speaking. But comparing my HA compression my CI is not as aggressive I think. Glad other people find the app helpful 

Definitely use the website version if you can as it’s a bit better and more detailed.  Also, never overdo it.  Theres a lot to delve into with this program.  And yes, when delving into music you want a very naked program without any bells and whistles.  Omnidirectional mic is also decent but the other is also generally alright to use but may need tweaking.  

@Anthony Canada re: your third bullet point, there are a couple of exercises which the notes bleed into each other.  It’s not too bad but does make it a little bit tougher.  Johanna Boyer (Musicologist at MedEl) and the rest are aware.  

Speaking of super helpful for Musicians, if you need help deciphering things or questions (especially with Meludia), definitely reach out to Johanna as she is like, the project manager for Meludia.  Very knowledgeable and 100% understands the hurdles CI users have with music as she, herself has had one for a long time.  

@John F I'm not sure I fully understand your comment. There really isn't anything for Medel to do.

3 minutes ago, Anthony Canada said:

@John F I'm not sure I fully understand your comment. There really isn't anything for Medel to do.

I’m saying, there’s not enough of a break between certain tasks so it bleeds into one another.  That could be what you’re experiencing and is a known issue.

Ah that's an interesting observation I've been blaming it on my brain. If you have some reference material on that I think all of us on this chain would be interested in it. 

2 minutes ago, Anthony Canada said:

Ah that's an interesting observation I've been blaming it on my brain. If you have some reference material on that I think all of us on this chain would be interested in it. 

I do not except what Johanna told me this past week.  

On 3/11/2024 at 7:30 PM, Anthony Canada said:

I use it and find it beneficial. There are a few areas I struggle with a few are due to my lack of music knowledge. Here are some of the CI related items I have.

• The way my electrodes stimulate I run into problems with sounds being one octave up/down vs slightly off.
  • I get a partial response from electrode 11 (12 is off completely). When sounds are in the higher end of what that electrode serves I get a flat response.
  • Sometimes I get overload from complex sounds and it takes longer to recover than I have before the next set of sounds come in. I think this is just because I'm only ~8 months into having a CI. Somewhat related I tried listening to a bar band this weekend for the first time since I've had a CI. It was difficult to understand most of the vocals for the same reason. 

I'm 5 years in now and music still improves. One of my challenges is I use my music program but if I would really like to hear the words I switch back to my intelligent speech program. Vocals for me are mostly distorted mid range. However lots of great surprises. 

• 4 weeks later...

I began to use it and it's very challenging.  As a musician, the sounds are metallic off key honky tonk and therefore challenging.  I'm a few days shy of my 3rd month post activation and I am extremely happy with words and conversations in various noisy environments.  Music, however is something I long for to return.  Hoping to hear music with my CI how it sounds in the Medel website.