Bilateral CI device....

Ivana Marinac

• HearPeers Heroes

Few days ago I have read (and still am reading some posts of various peers of the forum) how second implant made a big change.

As a person from both worlds (professional and patient) can you please try to explain to me that because in scientific community

is conducted a discussion about purpose and necessity of bilateral implanting but our health insurance companies are not willing to accept positive sides of bilateral implantation. They use to say: "Oh it is just because of sound direction..." or something like that. If I have not mistaken, few people wrote that speech and music recognition is much better when you are bilateral?

How do you feel that? How much is your quality of life raised? Etc...

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, one big plus to having 2 implants is sound location. It is much esier to pick up where the sound is coming from. To me the best way i describe it is that everything sounded so much FULLER, RICHER, CRISPER.

I really didn't think it could get any better with one but boy was i mistaken

• HearPeers Heroes

Our health plan in Ontario only allows one CI for adults and two for children. Health care professionals are petitioning the government to change this. Doesn't make sense to me when we have two ears. I am very thankful for the one I have though. It is 100% better than it was!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy that was a big issue in the U.S. early on as the insurance companies did not want to pay for a second implant. Now pretty much everybody does.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam,

Our health care system is regulated by the provincial government and will probably take some time before a second implant will be approved. I understand from my audiologist that they are trying to get it approved but again it will take time. I will have to check with my health care plan through work to see if they would pay the costs, but it is doubtful. Even when I had a hearing aid, it was only one I believe every 5 years.

• HearPeers Heroes

That stinks Sandy, I feel for you. Luckily you can at least get one.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, the way I look at it right now is that I am 100% better than I was 3 months ago. In the last nine months I have had 2 hip replacements and the cochlear implant. I am bionic and wired for sound. I did this so I can now enjoy my retirement which begins at 4:30 on June 10.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy that is amazing!! after having some physical challenges like that you sure heck dont take anything for granted. I have had 31 surgeries myself so i know that feeling. Enjoy that retirement