Mechanical Ringing Sound When I Touch My Ear

Eric S

My activation was about 6 weeks ago. I have a Sonnet 2. When I touch my ear with my hand, a towel, bedding, etc., I get a mechanical ringing noise that lasts for about 15 seconds and then slowly fades away. This happens even with a light touch. The heavier the touch, for instance drying with a towel, the louder the ring. This is not tinnitus, I have that in my HA ear. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

I discussed with my surgeon. He wants to wait 3 months to see if there is any improvement. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Does it happen when your processor is not on?

It’s common tbh.  I, and many others have experienced it after surgeries.  Touch or move your ear and a ringing sounds briefly.  It’ll eventually go away.  May take some time but most surgeons and Audis will simply say stop touching your ear.   :)

15 hours ago, John F said:

15 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Does it happen when your processor is not on?

Beth, yes that is when it happens, when my processor is not on.

When my processor is on, the ringing is not as loud.

15 hours ago, John F said:

It’s common tbh.  I, and many others have experienced it after surgeries.  Touch or move your ear and a ringing sounds briefly.  It’ll eventually go away.  May take some time but most surgeons and Audis will simply say stop touching your ear.   :)

John, how long did you have the ringing? Mine will also ring briefly when I turn my head. 

Did you consult your physician? What did he say?

Can you elaborate on "many others have experienced" ......

Thanks. 

Also, John it is impossible to not touch your ear. eg., drying off after a shower, pulling a t-shirt over your head, turning in bed while you are asleep, ear has an itch, etc.

Eric

I had it in each ear for approx 6-8 months although second ear may have been slightly longer.  Surgeon checked them a couple times.  As did Audi.  Nothing was physically wrong.  There’s been others who’ve had the same issues so it’s not super uncommon.  It’s the nerves healing which takes time to get back to normal.

When I say the surgeon and Audi said not to touch the ear, they simply meant outside normal stuff like actually touching it just to see if the ringing is there, etc… didn’t say don’t even move it in day to day stuff or stuff like that.  :)

As always, if super concerned then check in with your surgical team and they can do a looksie to make sure everything’s as it should be.

Every morning when I put my processor on I get ringing for a few minutes then it fades away. It used to last a long time on the first week of activation but it’s hardly noticeable now.  I’m not sure what it is 

@Rob Gellner I have the same issue and no one has been able to determine the cause. They blamed the electronics of the processor but adjusting the quiet levels did not fix the issue neither did replacing the processor under warranty (unrelated issue). If you find out what the cause let us know. I'm sure there are many of us that accept it as part of our morning routine.

Honestly I think it’s my brain hearing something but not sure what it is so it just ignores it after a while and then I don’t notice it anymore. I asked my Audi about it and he said it was common complaint. Maybe I’m picking up the furnace fan blowing ?  

I have experienced this same effect (no sound processor involved).  It is most noticeable when I swallow and my CI ear pops. The sound is like plucking a metal wire.  I am scheduled to see my surgeon and plan to discuss this with him.  I also experienced hearing my pulse (much more right after surgery and less noticeable now).  I was able to measure it and confirm it was my pulse.  My activation was Feb 1 and still have little if any hearing in that ear, so "hearing" these sounds seems to suggest that sound originating from outside is not being transmitted naturally, but sound originating inside (pulse, ear pops) is.  This is the question I want to have answered.  I am told that there was no trauma from translocation during surgery and insertion speed was controlled by use of a robotic device to achieve 1/10 to speed of normal insertions.

17 hours ago, Rob Gellner said:

Honestly I think it’s my brain hearing something but not sure what it is so it just ignores it after a while and then I don’t notice it anymore. I asked my Audi about it and he said it was common complaint. Maybe I’m picking up the furnace fan blowing ?  

I'm sorry, but saying that something is a common complaint and not explaining why it occurs is not acceptable to me.  If an effect that is unexpected occurs, there is a reason.  If the effect is also undesirable, then controlling why it occurs or as a minimum explaining that it is a potential side effect is required IMO.

This raises the question about how feedback to surgeon and companies occurs so that improvements in outcome can be made. I have been coming to the conclusion that the medical community is nowhere as organized and responsive as say tech or even industrial companies are in this regard.

@jcech344 

Sorry for the late response, but please let us know if you get any additional information from your surgeon.

Your description "The sound is like plucking a metal wire." is right on point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I too notice the same ringing, but only when I lay on it,  or scratch or even feel the implant with my finger.   I noticed, however that the ringing is less dramatic going into my third month post activation.   At first,  the ringing was very dramatic, but now not so much.   I figure that when you disturb the implant with your fingers, you move the electrodes in the coclea and produces the ringing.   So I try to leave the ear alone as much as possible.   Sometimes I sleep on my ear I hear no ringing,  other times I do.   Why? Who knows, but if you are worried about it, ask your surgeon. 

Wishing you all the best.

@Ernresto

Glad you have seen some improvement three months on. I am at 8 weeks post activation and ringing is unchanged. My surgeon is aware of the issue and I have a follow up appointment with him in 2 months. Perhaps they will do a CT scan. 

Sounds like a plan Eric.  Wishing you the best. Keep us posted please.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am now 10 week post activation and several effects I noticed at the beginning have diminished.  First was the sound of my own pulse.  That was constant, not annoying, but constant.  Now I notice it only after exertion. Second was the mechanical sound (without sound processor) when touching my implanted ear or having my eustation tubs pop.  Also less noticeable, but there in more extreme situations (plane trip, head cold).  

Have a meeting with my surgeon tomorrow (first since the surgery).  Will discuss this with him and add more feedback

The mechanical ringing when my ear is touched remains unchanged. Let us know what your surgeon says.

Thanks.