Started my CI journey today!

Lisette

Hello, I am Lisette, from St Thomas, Ontario, Canada. I am 44 years old, married, mom of 6 (ages 9-20). 4 Weeks ago I had my surgery, which went really well. They were able to insert all 12 electrodes. I got a Rhonda 3. Today was activation day. Took my husband along. I'm hearing a lot of electronic beeps and stuff. But if someone talks to me one on one, I am actually able to follow the conversation with a lot of effort. 

The audiologist was very pleased with what I was able to hear. Although coming home again to a full household with lots of sounds, that is quite the learning curve still. 

On my CI side I was almost deaf. On my other side a wear a hearing aid. 

Pretty overwhelmed with all the technology that comes with it. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to meet you and congratulations!  Lots of great info and helpful people here.  If you wish to connect with some of us, you can join in our GoogleMeet (free automatic captions).  Info on our next one is at this link.  If interested, just reply there.

Wishing you the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

That does sound like a great start! It is overwhelming to hear everything at first, but over time your brain will filter it. You'll notice it changing quickly.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Lisette,

how did you do so far?

i had activation yesterday with Rondo3. I heard lot of sounds such as wind blow, nail scratching on the cover of rondo 3, machine runing … when i talked, my voice was loud but very dull, muffled, and distorted… this caused me spoke incorrect English. I know i can hear something but it was not what i am expecting. I thought i would hear something like robot talk but nothing closed at all. I was thinking i would hear like first time hearing aid fitting but it was not. Question: was my case normal and i will improve after few weeks? I am very concerned now. Would anyone give me any  words? 

Thank you

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnNadashki

congratulations on your activation!  This is just the beginning of your journey.  For me it started out like static and beeps.  Smile.  Practice listening everyday and enjoy your journey.

This captioned video tells of how my journey started in case you are interested.

Mary,

thanks for quick reply. Do still have beep and static but you are able to pick words through those noises?

Thank you 

• HearPeers Heroes

The beeps and static changed to words and the words became more and more natural sounding and then music started to sound good and now music sounds terrific.  It’s a journey. @JohnNadashki

• Like 1

• Members

@JohnNadashki I wish that I had kept better notes of my day by day recovery experience after activation last year. I think I had a similar start to you.  As I recall, it might have taken me a week or so to start getting words. In less than 2 months, I was listening to audiobooks, streamed directly to my CI. Now I'm listening to music.  Podcasts and audiobooks can be done at an accelerated speed depending on the recording/voices/content.  

As usual, I agree with Mary Beth, it is a journey.

Thank you Tim!

your input really help me. 

I am wondering if Med El fitting software has features which expose user to more and more environments as user’s experience gained daily. I know Oticon hearing aid has this feature. In the other words first time fitting, user won’t hear much then gradually user starts to pickup more cues because software in the aid moves hearing program to more aggressive experience level.

thanks all again for your inputs

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnNadashki

I am

familiar with that feature in hearing aids but to my knowledge that feature is not used in CI processors.

Hi all again,

Also do you know how many more appointments do you make before you can hear? 

And also how do you know the setting that audiologist makes are the best setting?

I am asking because before hearing aid fitting, audiologist inputs the audiogram to gennie program which to benchmark the degree of my hearing lost. Any new adjusting will start from this input. On my activation, i don’t see this step for CI so i am not sure how this work. Any input is greatly appreciated

Thank you

• HearPeers Heroes

Setting up CIs and hearing aids is completely different.

We should start hearing from our CI at activation.  What we actually hear right away varies greatly from user to user.  We should hear more and also hear better quality audio over time.  How long it takes to hear well varies from user to user.

Knowing that our program is a good program, comes with hearing well.

Working with professionals on aural rehab can help some people.  Other people are comfortable doing the aural rehab independently.

The link I posted on your other thread for 1:1 tech support from Med-El audiologists is a great way to discuss this with a Med-El audiologist.  They can help with aural rehab suggestions too.

We also have a category here called rehab and it is full of great resources and suggestions.

Hello John,

Welcome! It is not easy those first weeks with a CI. I agree with Tim, I should have kept a diary. And my activation was only a few weeks ago. For everyone this journey is different. And each person’s surroundings are different. Just a few things that have really helped me so far. 
Wear your CI at all hours, except when asleep. And don’t wear an hearing aid in your other ear if you have one. If you have good hearing on your other side, wear an earplug, so you are forced to hear with your CI. After a while, they will tell you it’s okay to wear both.
As soon as you are connected to Amptify, do your hearing training every day. Most days I am able to do it for 45 minutes to an hour. It is very beneficial.

Have regular conversations, with family members, friends, people you meet at the store etc. Naturally I am surrounded by a lot of conversations and noises. But I think this really helped me improve my hearing rapidly.

My journey is going exceptionally well. It’s been 7 weeks now since activation. And I am hearing, understanding very well. With my last sound test, I was at a level of healthy hearing. So very thankful!

Participating in a meeting is going better as well. Although when I’m not expecting someone to talk to me, I still struggle. Loud, echoing surroundings are still very difficult as well. 
But I am able to understand my kids talking behind me while driving! Yeah! This was one of my goals! 

Wishing you all the best! Hope this was helpful. 

Lisette

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lisette

So happy your journey is going great!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mary  Beth and everyone.  Mary Beth it was fascinating watching and listening to your story on  UTube. Thank you!

I was activated May 28 and had Amy first mapping 10 days later.  I’m doing excellent in many ways with speech, audio books and notes on piano (difficult), but am very concerned about something that happened I hope someone can comment/advise on.   Just before my 10 day appointment I used a hair drying brush (old one) (not wearing my Rondo of course), and my implant vibrated and buzzed like crazy.   I quickly stopped but am concerned about damage to the implant.  I always hear a low static even in quiet with all the settings right down and gets loud as I turn up the vol and sensitivity.  Also,  when I hover the Rondo over the Implant there is this same static even if it’s not touching.  Med-el checked and said the dryer wouldn’t have damaged the implant but I was also told that there can be static when going thru airport security.   I am going in for a checkup on this but before I go can anyone please comment on this for me?  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roseanne

I am glad the video was helpful.

I am not sure if I can be of any assistance with your question now though.  We can use hair dryers without an issue.

I have never heard static going through any airport security area and I have traveled both domestically and internationally quite a bit with my CIs.

I hope you find an answer.

Thanks…. Yes I hope so too.   Possibly you could check for me with your Rondo,  when it’s just hovering over but not touching, do you hear any static? 

• HearPeers Heroes

That part makes sense to me @Roseanne

The magnets touching is to keep the processor orientated correctly .  Shifting the processor off center can create a change in audio quality.

I don’t recommend hovering above as the two magnets will want to connect.

There are people who can not have internal magnets so they don’t use magnets in their processors either.  They use wig tape to position the processor correctly over the internal implant which is needed for optimal sound quality.

That’s very interesting. Thanks very much.  What you do on this Forum is outstanding.