things sound muffled

Rob Gellner

A couple questions.  Im paranoid that I could damage my hearing in my CI ear from listening to music on headphones?  Is this possible.  I don't find the music painful to listen to.  Secondly Lately Ive been finding the sound a bit muffled, like my ear is plugged up a bit or my ear hasn't  popped from coming down in a plane.  My its compression that is super slow to release.  I have my CI in OMNI mode.  things just don't sound as full to me.  Now its only been 7 weeks since activation so maybe I'm expecting too much at this point.  I am able to play in the bands I used to play in and Play my chapman stick and some things sound great.  Speech still sounds a bit lower pitched or like a slowed down record with low voiced people.  I have my next Audi appointment in a month so will talk to him about what I can change but if anyone has experience with what I have describe Id love to get suggestions to pass on to my audi.  Maybe I just need more time for my  brain to sort the strange muffled sound out.  I did take my sonnet 2 mic cover off to see if it was plugged but no change in sound.  Thanks everyone 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rob Gellner

Since you are still so early in your journey it could just be a sign that you need some changes to your MAP.

If you gently slide your finger over the mics while wearing it, does the sound return to a better quality immediately afterwards?

LOL yes i was doing that and it does sometimes seem to make a difference but im sure my audi turned compression off as I asked hime too.  Loud sounds like trumpet sections I play in do distort so maybe their is some compression but not sure if they have control over how much compression or knee is used?

I haven't worn head phones but I've been to several very loud events where sounds are over 100dB for extended periods in my normal CI setting. For things like an NHL playoff game I could hear normally right after. For garage concerts sound was muffled for a bit after but I could hear normal the next day - next time I'll wear earplugs to see if that prevents this. When you say you had your compression turned off can you elaborate on what you mean by that?

On 4/25/2024 at 11:16 AM, Anthony Canada said:

When you say you had your compression turned off can you elaborate on what you mean by that?

@Anthony Canada I think @Rob Gellner is referring to the program setting that removes all wind/ambient/transient block. @Rob Gellner, from what I understand, the Omni setting still has wind block and other front end features activated in the programming and this is by default. When you see your audi, ask to have a separate program that has ALL front end processing and wind/transient block turned off so you can use it for music. I ran into this issue when taking up piano lessons - even the Omni setting distorted the sound emitted from holding the piano key down. After enabling a new program setting (which I labelled "Piano"), all distortion disappeared and my lessons/practice are so much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad to hear your piano playing is going well @NathalieM

I use omni mic setting with any applicable front end features turned off

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rob Gellner

When there is a change of sound quality while using the same processor and the same MAP, I always think of these possibilities.

1) mic cover needs to be replaced

2) battery issue

3) program needs to be reset- volume/sensitivity

4) connection on processor is not great- detach and reattach all connections

5). MAP needs to be adjusted- schedule appt with audiologist

6) processor issue- replace under warranty